Cant find system if i use 5ghz wifi ( sonos app android )

I have two wifi networks, a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz.
I connected the system a month or so ago and everything worked fine, now it cant find the system unless i change my wifi on my phone from 5g to 2.4g network.

I have used sonos for years but i moved to a new apartment with a new router a month ago. It hasnt been a issue before.

The connection is good, I have full bars on 5ghz all over the apartment so im not sure what’s going on?

I can connect to the speakers on spotify on my mac which is on 5g but not on my phone.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have to say I have something similar going on although not as bad as your situation.

Since the last Android app update, my speakers that are on the 5ghz wifi, take time to show in the app. All speakers that are on SonosNet or 2.4 show immediately when I open my app, but the few on 5ghz band don’t show up straight away. They do eventually but I imagine if I had all my speakers on the 5ghz band, then maybe the whole system would fail to show?

I have not logged it on here as an issue, as it’s not too much of a problem for me. More slightly annoying than anything. We will have to see what the Sonos Reps say in regard to your question. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Please specify your router. Some routers are too stupid to handle routing (broadcasts/multicasts most commonly) when devices switch frequencies, or between devices on different frequencies.

Please specify your router. Some routers are too stupid to handle routing (broadcasts/multicasts most commonly) when devices switch frequencies, or between devices on different frequencies.

Right, its a ASUS RT-AX86U PRO

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Uh-oh, I recall when that came out it had big problems with Sonos. I assume it is running the latest firmware?

Uh-oh, I recall when that came out it had big problems with Sonos. I assume it is running the latest firmware?

Yepp, I updated it the day i got it. Checked again and its still the latest version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yepp, I updated it the day i got it. Checked again and its still the latest version.

There was also some nonsense with this router that required a factory reset after the firmware update in order for it to work correctly, suggest you search for those threads for the full scoop.

There was also some nonsense with this router that required a factory reset after the firmware update in order for it to work correctly, suggest you search for those threads for the full scoop.

Yepp did that too!

I mean it does work with 5g, just not on android. My mac can cast without issues with 5g

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The Following sonos devices below are not compatible/not able to connect to 5ghz wifi, try connecting it in hard wire using LAN/RJ45 Cable
Amp

Arc

Arc SL

Beam (Gen 1, Gen 2)

Ray

Hi @AdamosTomatos, I have exactly the same issue as you, same router RT-AX86U Pro, all my speakers are connected to 2.4GHz and when my Iphone is connected to 5GHz impossible to stream from Spotify or even find the system in S2.

Everything works well on my Macbook when connected to 5GHz though.

Have you found a solution? 

Hi @AdamosTomatos, I have exactly the same issue as you, same router RT-AX86U Pro, all my speakers are connected to 2.4GHz and when my Iphone is connected to 5GHz impossible to stream from Spotify or even find the system in S2.

Everything works well on my Macbook when connected to 5GHz though.

Have you found a solution? 

Maybe see this earlier and rather lengthy thread in relation to this router…

Thanks for the help, I managed to fix the issue. I flashed my router with the Malin firmware and I set manually the 5GHz channel to 44 and now I can see all my sonos devises from the 5GHz even if they are connected on the 2.4GHz. 

my wifi is 5g and andriid can't see the system.  My ipad can see it just fine and works with no problem.  I am using google mesh network.  Any ideas?