Answered

Cannot link Sonos to Synology DS220+ NAS

This is the same as a closed topic, but I am having the same issue, and the solution on the original topic, that of enabling SMB1 on the NAS, is not working for me. I can connect to the share using windows (once I login using the username/password I have created specifically for that share), but Sonos is still reporting an error. It no longer reports the same error it did before I enabled SMB1 - but still an error and still making it impossible for me to use my new DS220+ for Sonos:

I am running DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4, and Sonos is the older S1 setup.

The not horribly informative error from Sonos is this:

Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Please check that the path to the folder, and the username and password if needed, are correct.

Reason: Access to the shared folder “\\nasnew\music\_MusicFiles” is denied.

Anyone got any thoughts?

It’s kinda ironic that I had to upgrade from my old DS508 because Windows deprecated SMBv1 so couldn’t access the DS508 on its not upgradable old version of DSM, and now it seems I need to enable SMBv1 for Sonos support (even though it isn’t working as yet.)

Ta.

Kev.

icon

Best answer by buzz 10 October 2022, 12:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

This is the link to the old topic covering this issue:

What Sonos speakers do you have?

Have you also checked the version of NTML in use? If memory serves, both have to be adjusted to version 1. 

What Sonos speakers do you have?

Have you also checked the version of NTML in use? If memory serves, both have to be adjusted to version 1. 

I have a whole heap of older Sonos units mostly, that limits me to the S1 software. Such as Connect:Amp, Play:1, Playbar.

I have no idea what NTML is - maybe it is this? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/secauthn/microsoft-ntlm

When yo are talking about adjusting to version 1 NTML, is this something I am doing on the Sonos boxes, or the NAS, or what? Sorry for not understanding.

This is a Synology setting: “ … you can go to DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others to tick Enable NTLMv1 Authentication. This will lower the security level but allow legacy devices to authenticate via NTLMv1.”

Oh, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much for your help everyone.

K.

This one worked for me and I had read and tryed many things. Thanks

Ref. Issue finding a NAS folder from my DS220+ to show up in the music library of Sonos S1.

Badge

I have a Synology DS213J - running DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6

It seems that the settings above no longer work - so now I have 5 Sonos devices (1 S1 and 4 S2) none of which will connect to my NAS - the advice from Sonos was to try and rollback the software on the NAS drive, which seems not to be possible.

So basically I’m screwed as there seems to be no solution available

It seems that the settings above no longer work - so now I have 5 Sonos devices (1 S1 and 4 S2) none of which will connect to my NAS - the advice from Sonos was to try and rollback the software on the NAS drive, which seems not to be possible.

If not tried already, maybe see if the solution mentioned in this earlier thread will sort things for you…

Badge

If not tried already, maybe see if the solution mentioned in this earlier thread will sort things for you…

Unfortunately that doesn’t work - the suggestion from Sonos is that the latest “fixes” from Synology have broken the connection  - the Synology software can’t be rolled back - so I am literally screwed. The options I have are  - replace all my old Sonos kit for newer Sonos kit or replace my NAS and hope that my existing Sonos kit will talk to it. Neither of which are going to be cheap.

P.s. for anyone running Synology NAS drives I strongly recommend that you do not perform any DSM updates or you may find yourself in the same hole that I’m in

Unfortunately that doesn’t work - the suggestion from Sonos is that the latest “fixes” from Synology have broken the connection  - the Synology software can’t be rolled back - so I am literally screwed. The options I have are  - replace all my old Sonos kit for newer Sonos kit or replace my NAS and hope that my existing Sonos kit will talk to it. Neither of which are going to be cheap.

P.s. for anyone running Synology NAS drives I strongly recommend that you do not perform any DSM updates or you may find yourself in the same hole that I’m in

Ah okay, sorry to hear that the link didn’t help. 👍

Badge

My problems began yesterday after a SONOS controller windows software update, not a Synology update.

On the windows machines where I did NOT do the SONOS update, SONOS is still working fine.

I am not at home so I cannot try the things mentioned to change at the Synology end.

Just FYI.

Frederick

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So you did it and it didn't work?  If you've done it correctly it really should..

Badge

So you did it and it didn't work?  If you've done it correctly it really should..

UPDATE

I have had Synology support logging onto the drive to check settings etc… (including making the suggested changes above) and today I have re-attempted to assign my music library to the NAS and all is now working OK - so thanks to all that have commented on this.