Answered

cannot connect to Synology NAS Dj220

• 16 December 2022
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos tech couldn’t help- working from a MacBook!!! I know! SMB1 enabled and Ntmlv1! There is no browse on add music library which is stored on the NAS drive! The network path I have typed gets me to password etc then as it try’s to add I get error code 1001- currently doing my nut in!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 December 2022, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @adrianwestfield66 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Error 1001 is a failed connection. However, your speakers are reporting that the reserved memory used for indexing your Music Library is full (approx. 65,000 tracks), so even if you could connect, it seems it wouldn’t be able to index your entire library anyway.

I recommend you install Plex on your NAS - I assume this is an option - and on your Sonos system. Connect them both to the same account and Plex will take care of the indexing of the music tracks, and their delivery to Sonos for playback.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know that it says I have an index library if 65000 tracks- but I don’t have any tracks in the library!

I did have it with my old external WD hD but there are no indexed tracks on my new NAS drive ??? So I’m very lost- looking on line I read that it may be viewing snap shots???? Wtf is that- I’m not the most tech person! Had Sonos since 2008 but it was all very simple then!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

So how do I remove this reserved memory??

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @adrianwestfield66 

You’ll need to remove the share pointing to your old NAS drive - that will clear up memory space for the tracks in the new location. If you have less than 65,000 tracks on your drive you should be good, but the limit is not exact - it’s based on memory usage, and more track metadata means more memory being used. If you have more than 65,000 tracks (regardless of what Sonos can see/play), I still recommend Plex.

I’m not sure what you mean by “snap shots”. If it’s a reference to diagnostics, then yes - each submitted diagnostic is only a snap shot of the system at the time of submission. If it’s in relation to the music library, then also yes - we don’t actively scan a folder for new items, we just index when told to, or scheduled to. A re-indexing must be performed to see new tracks in the library. None of this helps you actually connect Sonos to your NAS, however.

One important point - your Sonos system is on our S2 software, so you do not want to be using SMBv1 and NTMLv1! Please configure your NAS to use SMB2/3. I should have noticed this on my last look - apologies.

The following pages should assist:

Add your music library to Sonos

Remove your music library

Error 1001 and 1002 when using the music library

Use a NAS drive with Sonos

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Cory I’ll give it a go- I thought I had removed the path to my old memory and I have also had the settings on smb2/3- and NMtlm isn’t enabled! I’ll try again today!!  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nope- still not working!

I think I’m done ! 
thanks for the assistance- I’m not to keen about paying Plex to stream my own purchased music - so that’s not really an option!

I am at the end of my tether with it! Tried everything- when the share is added it won’t play or recognise any of the music in the file! Dons stated that I was showing over the limit on my music- however there is none as I removed the old share path?

maybe I need to split the music into folders somehow on the NAS

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Splitting it up won’t change the memory limitations for storing the index.

Maybe remove the library path from your Sonos, power down all your Sonos and then bring whichever of yours has the most memory up. When it comes up make sure the library entry is blank.

Then try adding the library to it and indexing.

Then bring the others up.

Might want to look at teh articles above and see if you can minimize the storage needs too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@adrianwestfield66 According to this page you do not need to pay Plex when you only use the Sonos app: https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/#:~:text=The%20ability%20to%20control%20Sonos,subscription%20on%20your%20Plex%20account.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve read up and enquired- I would need a Plex pass! Though I’m not sure that it would be worth paying to listen to my own music- if it was guaranteed to work I probably would but a lifetime subscription!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @adrianwestfield66 

Regardless of what your Sonos system says, how many music tracks do you actually have, roughly?

Userlevel 1
Badge

None in the library!

im currently going to give Plex a go and see if that works!

None in the library!

im currently going to give Plex a go and see if that works!

Try switching the controllers associated product as shown in the ‘About My System’ (best to power it off and force the App to switch). Then check the old library path has been removed from the Sonos App and go onto add the new library path, (+ share username & password credentials) and see if that resolves the issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

How do I do that? Trying so hard to get to my library- wasted money in Plex- unable to connect and find media server issues- and all I wanted was to play my own music and not rely on Spotify etc- I’m computer challenged- had a tech guy come (more cash) and he didn’t have a clue! Rang Sonos support - not a clue- I think the last time I had an issue was years ago and when I contacted tech support it was sorted in seconds via remote- the guy I had - didn’t even know how to do basic things on the Mac- it was like the blind leading the blind- as a result I’m still failing!

Hi @adrianwestfield66 I bought a Synology NAS for the sole purpose of storing my music library; never did get it to work with my Sonos system (pair of 5s with a sub.)  My solution was to use an old laptop I had laying around. I removed everything from the SSD except my music library, set it up so that the screen turns off when the power button is pressed and to do nothing when the lid is closed. Connected to my home network and voila...connected to Sonos instantly and have been streaming my library without problems for a couple of years now. Yes, I leave the laptop running 24/7 but you wouldn’t have to. The Synology NAS?...kind of overkill but since I have it, I only use it for backing up my daily use computer. I know this isn’t the answer you were looking for but it’s another option and there are some fairly low cost laptops available if you don’t already have one. Best of luck to you!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Finally connected the NAS and the Plex to my Sonos system?? That was a mission!

thsnks for the assistance everyone!

Congrats to you @adrianwestfield66!!! After reading the above posts today I decided to give the Synology/Sonos connection another try...Lo and behold it worked for me too! Many Thanks to all!!!