Can’t use Trueplay Tuning on my iPhone 12, iOS17

• 17 September 2023
  • 26 replies

As being said, I can’t access to Trueplay Tuning on my iPhone 12. The iOS version is 17.0.

Just got a Beam gen2 few days ago, and I’m trying to use the Sonos app to set it up. But it showed ‘not yet supported with this iPhone’. Honestly I’m super confused because iPhone 12 is a 3-year-old model and I do spot that you guys said iPhone 12 is certainly supported now. So I just don’t get it why it is not working.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

I thought iOS 17 hadn’t gone gold yet, nor has there been time for Sonos to test it?

To my knowledge, there are very few companies that bother to chase beta versions of operating software. 

I thought iOS 17 hadn’t gone gold yet, nor has there been time for Sonos to test it?

To my knowledge, there are very few companies that bother to chase beta versions of operating software. 

Then I suppose they definitely should consider mentioning operating system when listing out supported devices

Apple beta’s can be a pain for 3rd parties. I can understand why a 3rd party would seem to ignore the beta. The 3rd party can follow along closely and think that they are ready to go, but a late night change by Apple will break the App. Naturally, the Apple Apps work and the 3rd party will then get criticized for being inept. It’s much less work for the 3rd party to simply note that iOS YY is not yet supported. It may or may not require much work to support the new iOS version, but this work will only need to be done once — on a stable platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course Sonos cannot support beta software. Inherently beta software can change without warning. Why would there be a need for Sonos to even mention this?

Well there will be a need for them to mention it when Ios17 officially releases in a few hours time ;-) That is assuming that they don’t update things in parallel.

Perhaps you should offer to join the SONOS beta program. Potentially there could be a SONOS beta that works with the iOS beta.

It’s official, Sonos no longer support truplay on any devices (with iOS 17). Fortunately I’ve held off updating my iPad.

Userlevel 1

It’s official, Sonos no longer support truplay on any devices (with iOS 17). Fortunately I’ve held off updating my iPad.

Do you have a link to this source? 

It normally takes a bit of time for Sonos to retest when a new operating system comes out from Apple, I wouldn’t be overly indexed on this, just patient. 

Userlevel 1

It normally takes a bit of time for Sonos to retest when a new operating system comes out from Apple, I wouldn’t be overly indexed on this, just patient. 

Millions of people worldwide have updated to iOS17 now and own Sonos products but they can’t have an app update ready for launch? Not great for a billion dollar company. 

Yea, don’t really know how much Apple shares their ‘final’ data with Sonos in advance, much less how much free engineering time Sonos has to chase all the random small changes that Apple makes at the last moment. 

It’s not an uncommon thing for me to deal with, every time Apple updates, across a wide variety of applications. You’d think there would be a more concerted effort by Apple to share that information, but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

I know back when I was involved developing games for iOS, there was close to zero information being shared, just an attitude of ‘if you follow what our documents say, you’ll be fine’, but we were much further away from system level stuff like Sonos is with TruePlay. 

Userlevel 1

Yea, don’t really know how much Apple shares their ‘final’ data with Sonos in advance, much less how much free engineering time Sonos has to chase all the random small changes that Apple makes at the last moment. 

It’s not an uncommon thing for me to deal with, every time Apple updates, across a wide variety of applications. You’d think there would be a more concerted effort by Apple to share that information, but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

I know back when I was involved developing games for iOS, there was close to zero information being shared, just an attitude of ‘if you follow what our documents say, you’ll be fine’, but we were much further away from system level stuff like Sonos is with TruePlay. 

Apple had a developer conference back In June announcing 17 and a beta/docs available for developers to build and test that came out the same time. My company had our app ready for the official 17 launch about 4 weeks back. I just called Sonos and surprise surprise their support call centre is ‘offline’ 

The iOS release is not a surprise at all, I’ve been running the iOS beta since June and my company made our iOS app compatible with 17 back then too.

Like @Poway said, the purpose of the developer betas is to give devs a head start, and once it makes it to public betas apps are usually stable. All my apps besides Sonos worked with the public beta. It’s clear Sonos just doesn’t prioritize it because the same thing happened last year, they took 3 months to add trueplay support to the new iPhone.

I’m also in the Sonos beta program and there isn’t a beta version of the Sonos app out now.

It’s disappointing because iOS users upgrade to new versions very quickly. There’ll be literally hundreds of millions devices on iOS 17 in the next few days, and we can’t use one of the core Sonos features.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I myself updated within an hour of iOS being available and think it would be very nice if Sonos would react to this faster. Sonos does need to be more clear about not completely supporting iOS 17 once it's available - on the Dutch language page Sonos does not mentione this.

I do think however you cannot expect Sonos to support beta iOS versions, as some seem to expect. I also do not think really lose out very much if Sonos would fix this whitin the next couple of days. 

Based on the English website you would also assume everything works on iOS 17.

I can’t imagine that there have been significant changes to the mic settings in IOS17. Rather than blocking Truplay I’m not sure why they don’t allow the functionality with a disclaimer “IOS 17 not fully supported, Truplay results may vary”.

As other’s have mentioned it’s the lack of transparency that’s really annoying. They take the time to advertise their new products within the Sonos App but not feature breaking updates.

I was giving sonos full benefit of the doubt during ios 17 beta, like of course I can’t trueplay while on a beta ios build, but I FULLY expected sonos to support trueplay again once ios 17 went public. I upgraded today, then boom no trueplay again. Like, ok, maybe they have an app update to enable support for ios 17 like via a feature flag - there was an update for the app I installed today that also prompted an update to my system… this was promising but after everything fully updated and settled down…. STILL NO TRUEPLAY. like, come on… there have been weeks of stable public beta builds and a solid week or two of having access to the release candidate which should be more than enough time for sonos to validate the trueplay functionality on existing hardware nonetheless. All it takes in the app is a single flip of a switch to enable trueplay for ios 17. It’s totally just a simple metadata check and you just need to add “17.0” to the list.

I’m holding out for an update within the next two weeks but i’m still disappointed that it wasn’t done in time for ios 17 launch. They even sent out a whole app and system update but didn’t bother to include a simple flag.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The new iOS is out for 24 hours. We do not know if this is “a simple flag” or not. You have reason to complain if this takes Sonos three weeks without explanation. This is annoying but not the end of the world……

The new iOS is out for 24 hours. We do not know if this is “a simple flag” or not. You have reason to complain if this takes Sonos three weeks without explanation. This is annoying but not the end of the world……

The point is it should not be unsupported. There’s no technical reason for it to not work right now. Nobody’s saying it’s the end of the world we’re just annoyed that we’re not getting what we paid for, it’s a premium product from a large company and the standard is that products work in this situation. 

The new iOS is out for several months to developers, public beta, etc. The final build has been available for weeks. It’s crappy to break a core feature for your customers just on the off chance Apple decides to change how mics work and you have to make a new TruePlay profile.

The 15.8 update just dropped and …. Wait for it…. Truplay is still not supported! Guess we may need to wait another month for 15.9

The latest update is a disappointment as it fails to resolve any of the issues on iOS 17. TruePlay is still inaccessible, which is unacceptable for a tech product company.

the same thing happened last year, they took 3 months to add trueplay support to the new iPhone.

Supporting a newly introduced phone is a little different. Multiple samples of the final phone hardware release must be accumulated and characterized.

the same thing happened last year, they took 3 months to add trueplay support to the new iPhone.

Supporting a newly introduced phone is a little different. Multiple samples of the final phone hardware release must be accumulated and characterized.

Yeah that’s fine for new hardware. I’d still expect it to be faster than a whole quarter but that’s a whole different thing.