Skip to main content
Question

Can't see Sonos speakers unless I'm on the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi???

• 24 May 2024
  • 8 replies

I have two Wi-Fi’s, one for 5GHz and one for the old 2.4GHz. They both are connected to the same LAN network, just using slightly different Wi-Fi names.

Sonos speakers are connected to the 2.4GHz network, and my phone is on the 5GHz network. This has always worked fine.

After the new update I have to connect my phone to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi or my phone can’t see the speakers, why?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

this doesnt sound right ?,  why would you have two names anyway?

my systems are all combined single name 2.4/5g networks and seem to work fine.

most likely this is another bug introduced by the newer app

Userlevel 1
Badge

why would you have two names anyway?

Simple: Some legacy systems that use 2.4Ghz are unable to handle the 2.4Ghz\5Ghz thing. I have no idea why, but it’s apparently a known issue among smarter people than me.

Anyway, several years ago I simply divided them into two networks (One name like “mrkesu wifi” and the other “mrkesu wifi (2.4ghz)”) and I connect legacy devices to the 2.4ghz network and never had any issue.

That is until the new app came.

Even devices I bought 10+ years ago are able to handle this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

i understand that,  but not sonos….,  in fact they have told me that 5g is what their products like to enable true performance for things like surround etc

Userlevel 1
Badge

i understand that,  but not sonos….,  in fact they have told me that 5g is what their products like to enable true performance for things like surround etc

According to this list, Sonos Arc only supports 2.4GHz.

Sort of true.  Surrounds/subs do use 5 GHz, but it is not standard WiFi.  The connection between a TV source and the surrounds/sub is a private, one way 5 GHz network that is necessary for the low latency connection used to sync with video.  This has nothing to do with whether you can use a 5 GHz connection from your controller device to Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sort of true.  Surrounds/subs do use 5 GHz, but it is not standard WiFi.  The connection between a TV source and the surrounds/sub is a private, one way 5 GHz network that is necessary for the low latency connection used to sync with video.  This has nothing to do with whether you can use a 5 GHz connection from your controller device to Sonos.

So you’re saying we can finally connect Arc to 5GHz? Because it didn’t work when I first got it.

So you’re saying we can finally connect Arc to 5GHz? Because it didn’t work when I first got it.

Uhhh, no.  That’s the exact opposite of what I’m saying.  The 5 GHz radio in the Sonos soundbars/Amp is used for the private, one-way, direct connection to the surrounds/sub. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Uhhh, no.  That’s the exact opposite of what I’m saying.  The 5 GHz radio in the Sonos soundbars/Amp is used for the private, one-way, direct connection to the surrounds/sub. 

Oops. Sorry I thought you replied to my last message, my apologies :)