Can't run S1 Controller on Macbook Pro

• 20 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Have been running seven Sonos zones using older hardware and S1 controller on iPhone and iMac with no problems. Upgraded to MacBook Pro macOS Ventura. Mac-version S1 controller hangs and won’t boot. PC-version S1 Controller (running under Windows 11 on Parallels) boots, but won’t recognize any Sonos devices. Might be incompatible port configuration. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @BoulderMarc, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s strange that both desktop apps are having issues, and different ones at that. It’s hard to tell what it may be without any diagnostics, but I would first suggest reinstalling both apps on the Mac and PC.

There may be settings that have been adjusted by previous Windows/Mac updates that have started these issues. If a reinstall doesn’t help, I’d recommend you reach out to our support team for live troubleshooting as they can remote into your system and see what could be causing these issues.

I hope this helps!

Jamie, thanks for responding. I’ve put hours into troubleshooting this. I am convinced the S1 Controller will not run on M2 silicon… either under MacOS Ventura or Parallels/Windows 11. My son is a senior software engineer and had to go under the hood to match ports to get it to run… then other problems emerged, so I reverted. My solution was to go with a third-party Sonos controller app. Life is too short. 

Hey BoulderMarc, what 3rd-party controller app are you using and how do you like it? I have a client whose Sonos isn’t working after upgrading to Ventura (Intel Mac) and could benefit from your experience. Thanks!

iphone running Sonos app 11.12, OS S1

macbook pro running Menu Bar Controller (MBC) version 5.1.2(95)