Question

Can't play certain directories in music library

• 3 November 2020
  • 5 replies

I’ve got a samba share with tons of different music organized by directory.

For some reason some directories can not play. If I try to play any song any any one of these directories it just skips to the next song. Eventually It will produce an error after trying 10 or so songs and say something like “Unable to play ‘blah’ - network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer’

I don’t believe this is a network performance issue. Everything is wired via ethernet and shared locally and it ONLY affects certain folders. I’ve read endless samba logs and can’t discern anything. I’ve tried copying different directories around, removing files, changing permissions, everything I can think of. No matter what ‘Chillstep Radio’ directory plays fine, but ‘Dubstep Radio’ directory won’t play at all, for example.

So I’ve run endless experiments creating new directories with different names and only putting a few files in them, reindexing and trying again. Sometimes a directory will play, and sometimes it won’t. I can’t discern any rhyme or reason around why some directories won’t play and others will. 

They all are in the same place in the same samba share with the same permissions. The contents don’t seem to matter as I can switch the contents of the folders and folder A will still play but B won’t even with the contents switched. I literally have no idea. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’m on version 11.2.3 S1

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I assume you can turn on some kind of diagnostic logging on your unspecified NAS, I would do that and see if you can tell what is failing.

How many tracks in your library?  There is an upper limit of 65,000 in the Sonos Music library, but the max can be hit mush lower than this if you have long filepaths, for example, which can occupy moeer than one ‘slot’.

I hadn’t thought about the track limit. I removed all of my shares and added only this one (with 7k tracks) and it appears to be the same. Some directories play fine, others not at all. :(

I did a submit diagonstics if that helps.