Skip to main content

Hi! 

What do I do when I can't control any speakers at all? 

Every setting rubber bands back, while playing music from Spotify (via wife's app, same app, same Android version, same Sonos account and so on) I can't see nor control what is being played or change any settings. 

My wife can't switch songs unless pausing the music, restarting speaker she wants to play on or we kick it off the network. But neither of us can do any changes. 

Volume changes seems to lag up to 1-10+ minutes. 

Before you start yelling network issues, let me reassure you it's not, it worked fine before the dreaded app update. 

I've reset one of the speakers, didn't help and refuse to reset anything else, reset the app, removed the app 

So, what do I do?

Hate to suggest it, but I suspect network issues. Just because it ‘worked before’ doesn’t mean that duplicate IP addresses can’t have slipped in during an update, when the Sonos devices do a soft reboot, and request new addresses from your router.

I’d at least try a refresh of your network, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to come back up before plugging back in your Sonos devices, and of course give them a couple of minutes to boot up before testing. 

There are multiple benefits to this process. You certainly get a refreshed router, and new IP addresses on the Sonos, but you also force them to reload their OS, which might fix some lingering issues. However, if it does not work, you could submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Hi Bruce and thanks for you reply.

I wish it was that simple. I'm a network engineer by trade and while I don't run Cisco at home I do have a Dream Machine SE here so I have full control of the network. I have of course rebooted router Sonos and booted off all devices so they can pick up new IP's.

Sonos equipment is however locked to a static part of the network as they, from my experience, tend to have a dislike for things changing. You could say they are like a grumpy old man.. Or in short, me.. 😁

I'll try to get hold of the Sonos support and see if they can see something in the logs. (I really want access to those..

We also have a new feature in the Sonos department now btw. Now no one can do anything with any Sonos built equipment. Ikea speakers work like a charm though. And the S1 amp. 😁

Br Per 

Ah, well, it was a good bet given the amount of information provided in the post, and would have helped a vast majority of others experiencing the same sort of symptoms. Your best bet, given that you’re a network engineer by trade, is indeed to contact Sonos Support, and work through the issue with them. 

Good luck!

Rebooted playbar, sub and surround ones just for the heck of it.. 

It actually got worse.. 😁 

Now I don't have surroundsound or sub anymore working. According to Sonos app it's connected but yeah, everything is still rubberbandy so I don't trust it. 

Ones are online, pingable and according to all things I can test even talking to Sonos servers.

But yeah I'll try to get hold of the support somehow.

Br Per