Skip to main content

I have a Sonos system connected to a Boost. My iPhone will connect to the system with no issues. My wife’s iPhone is unable to connect to the same system on the same network. I have reset the app, tried to connect to the network with correct password, etc. Still unable to connect is the message I keep getting on the app. App is updated. iPhone has different OS versions. Any help. Thanks

Hi

Your wife's iPhone needs to be signed into the Sonos App with your credentials. All she needs do is down load the app, launch it and select “Join an Existing System (or something to that affect). She’ll be prompted to login with your credentials.

She is logged in with my credentials, still doesn't work. 

Is she on the same network?  Some routers have a separate guest network which gives internet access, but no local access.

Yes, we are on the same network. Sonos runs me through connecting to a speaker with the whole chime sequence, and the green light on the speakers, etc. but it still will not connect.

Yes, we are on the same network. Sonos runs me through connecting to a speaker with the whole chime sequence, and the green light on the speakers, etc. but it still will not connect.

Somethings not quite right. There should be no chime sequence, green light etc. Sounds like you or your wife is trying to setup a new Sonos system or setting up an additional speaker 🤔

If you are trying to add a new speaker try moving closer to your router or connect the speaker to your router via Ethernet.

Somethings not quite right. There should be no chime sequence, green light etc. Sounds like you or your wife is trying to setup a new Sonos system or setting up an additional speaker 🤔

If you are trying to add a new speaker try moving closer to your router or connect the speaker to your router via Ethernet.

Exactly what I thought. Since it can't locate the existing system, it runs me through the process. I’m not trying to set up anything new. I changed my Wifi password recently but I enter all the correct info when it asks for it on the app. I thought it would connect automatically to the system if her phone was on the same network? but that's not the case. 

Exactly what I thought. Since it can't locate the existing system, it runs me through the process. I’m not trying to set up anything new. I changed my Wifi password recently but I enter all the correct info when it asks for it on the app. I thought it would connect automatically to the system if her phone was on the same network? but that's not the case. .

There’s a network issue somewhere. Please describe your network setup.

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

Which SONOS models are in the system? Are any wired to the network? Do you have separate passwords on 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi?.

My suspicion is a mesh network, with the phones connected to different subnets. 

Refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.

Which SONOS models are in the system? Are any wired to the network? Do you have separate passwords on 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi?.

All Sonos are wireless but I have the Boost wired to one of my router nodes, so when I see them in my network set up , they displayed as wired since they connect to the Boost.

Play 5, Sonos 1, Beam, Beam2, Sub, around 14 components. I have a section of the network for IOT but the wired Boost is not on that section and neither our phones are connected to that subnet.

My suspicion is a mesh network, with the phones connected to different subnets. 

I do have a mesh network but the my iPhone is connected to the main subnet and so is my wife's. The Boost is also connected to the subnet. 

Which versions of iOS are both devices running? Which version of the Sonos app (s1 or S2, and version numbers of the app)? That might help those trying to assist you further. 

The boost should be connected to your main node (router) not a satellite. That also leads me to think that your nodes have DHCP capabilities and are generating IP Addresses which they should not.

The boost should be connected to your main node (router) not a satellite. That also leads me to think that your nodes have DHCP capabilities and are generating IP Addresses which they should not.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to move it to the main node but im dealing with limited space and power. 

I was able to finally figure it out, so Thanks to everyone who commented. My wife’s Sono app was not allowing access to the local network, found this once I clicked IOS settings inside the Sonos app. Really wished the app would prompt you to check those settings. I’ve seen other apps mention “access to local network required to proceed” so something to that effect. Great collection of contributors here, I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to move it to the main node but im dealing with limited space and power. 

if everything’s now working then don’t bother. As it stands your mesh is simply providing internet connectivity for the entire Sonos system, which should be fine. It’s when mesh wireless backhauls are used to interconnect multiple wired Sonos units that problems can arise.

if everything’s now working then don’t bother. As it stands your mesh is simply providing internet connectivity for the entire Sonos system, which should be fine. It’s when mesh wireless backhauls are used to interconnect multiple wired Sonos units that problems can arise.

@Vonskipper

Agreed with @ratty. Glad you found the issue.

Regarding comment about wireless Backhaul…that’s one reason among others that I use an Ethernet (wired) backhaul to prevent anything in my home from wirelessly jumping on it.

Wired backhaul or wireless, you still don’t want to wire multiple Sonos units to different mesh nodes. Some meshes use loop avoidance tactics which can fight with SonosNet’s. 

@Vonskipper

Agreed with @ratty. Glad you found the issue.

Regarding comment about wireless Backhaul…that’s one reason among others that I use an Ethernet (wired) backhaul to prevent anything in my home from wirelessly jumping on it.

I use a wired backhaul to all four of my mesh nodes, only way to do it correctly. Wireless is great but still not as good as wired. 

Is her phone under MDM control (eg with a corporate VPN)? Those will often block all local network access.

Is her phone under MDM control (eg with a corporate VPN)? Those will often block all local network access.

No, My wife just turned that setting off or somehow it was not enable once she restored her apps from upgraded to the new iPhone.