Skip to main content
Answered

Can't connect over 2.4 Wifi with WPA and Ch11 selected

• 27 November 2022
  • 6 replies

I’m pulling what hair I have left out over this. To be honest it’s also bloody annoying that of all the wifi enabled gadgets connected to my network Sonos always, always gives me grief! I hope the software team is listening in on this, as you can consider your programming skills get a grade of E-, must try hard, see me after lesson!

Rant over...

So, I’ve changed broadband provider and am trying to connect to my Play 5 Gen 2. I’ve separated my wifi into 2.4 and 5.8 and connected my app/android phone to the 2.4. I’ve made sure I’m in wireless mode 802.11b/g/n, chan 11 with WPA-WPA2-Personal set and yet my Sonos app still can’t see my 5.

I’ve tried going through the Sonos network and again all I get asked is to name the network and enter a password to a Sonos network I have no idea what that password is!!  Or I simply get no wifi networks available, spinny wheel.

I’m this close to chucking the bloody thing out the window unless someone can save me in this circle of Sonos Dantean despair!

6 replies

When replacing a router it is important to reboot everything.

Which SONOS models are in your system? Which SONOS controller App are you using — S1/S2? Describe your network for us. Which model router are you using?

Somehow, you’ll need to give the correct WiFi password to the SONOS system if you want to use your WiFi. This is easiest if you can temporarily wire a SONOS unit to the network.

Hold fire, it’s started working. I resorted to a factory reset, which may or may not have done it. Given the flakey nature of it wifi connectivity it could have been anything!  

Although Factory Reset seems to have worked through something, at least temporarily, Factory Reset rarely cures fundamental issues, and can waste a lot of time. Factory Reset implies a reboot.

Hi Buzz, 

The Sonos model is the Play 5 Gen 2, is that what you mean? S2 App the light brown one?? version 14.19. 

Wifi is Virgin media cable broadband in the UK, using their Hub 4 router. 

I tried the wired method which worked, but once I disconnected nothing. 

I’m in the US an have no experience with Virgin. While the PLAY:5 was wired, did you install the correct WiFi credentials?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @PhilUK, welcome to the Sonos Community!

From your previous post and given that you have Factory Reset the system, the Play:5 may not be set up to run wirelessly. As @buzz has said, you likely haven’t provided Sonos with the Wi-Fi credentials after the Factory Reset.

The way to do this would be to perform a wireless setup in the Sonos App, then follow the instructions on screen. After the wireless setup is finished, your system will have your Wi-Fi credentials saved and will be able to run wirelessly.

I hope this information helps!