Answered

Can't add music after moving to Windows11

• 1 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Sonos was unable to add the music folder
Reason: The computer "DELLPC" is not responding.

icon

Best answer by KRMart 3 March 2023, 18:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KRMart 

Thanks for your post!

There are a few reasons as to why you could be having trouble with adding a music folder from your Windows 11 PC.

Third-party firewalls are an obvious example, as is ensuring that Windows knows that your local network is Private rather than Public.

For the other possibilities, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your setup and even to remotely connect and set things up for you.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did you “move to win 11” with a new computer, or a fresh installation of Windows? If so it likely has a name other than DELLPC, which was the name of your old PC. Remove the old path and add the new one if this is the case.

I have not been able to add my music library since last December when I bought a new Dell computer which has windows11 installed.  I have noticed that many have the same problem.  I tried some of the suggestions seen here but nothing worked.  I worked long hours with Sonos level 1 and level 2 support.  They acknowlege there is a problem working with Windows11 and raised me to level 3 support.  I continued to troubleshoot the problem and came up with a workaround which works for me and hopefully will work for others.

My setup is Windows11 in a new Dell computer with 2 User Logins and Microsoft Accounts. Windows11 is on Drive C: and my music files are on 3 Folders on Drive D:

D:/User1/Music
D:/User2/Music
D:/Public/Music

When I browse to any of these from Sonos Music Library Settings>Add, I get the following error:

Sonos was unable to add the music folder
Reason: The computer "DELLPC" is not responding.

This is the workaround I found that works for me.  The following procedure uses D:/Public/Music as an example:

For part of this procedure you will need your Microsoft User Name and Password.

Right click on the folder containing your music (i.e. D:/Public/Music) and select properties.

Click the sharing tab and if there is no network share, select Advanced Sharing.
Select "Share this folder" and give it a name (i.e. Public Music).

Click on Permissions and give "Everyone" full control. Click OK two times to get back to the Sharing tab.  Note the Network Path name: \\DELLPC\Public Music, where the device name in my settings was "DellPC".  Click the close button.

Start the Sonos S1 Controller and select "Manage>Music Library Settings".  Select "Add", then "Another folder or a drive connected to my computer". Do not select "browse" button, instead enter the network Path but with the slashes reversed (i.e. //DELLPC/Public Music). Enter your Username and Password and select "Next" and "Done".
It should now be Updating Music Library.  Takes a while.

This has worked for all three of my music collection folders.  I have checked the library in Sonos and it’s all there and works fine.

Seems like the Sonos engineers should be able to figure it out and correct the problem so it works with the “browse” button.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KRMart 

Thank you so much for updating the thread, and I’m glad you can listen to your music once more!

I’m not a W11 user, but I think that there is a piece missing from the discussion. The S1 system requires that the file server use the older “SMBv1” protocol. Modern operating systems are reluctant to do this, forcing users to jump through hoops. If this setup stops working in a few days, explore the SMBv1 detail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m not a W11 user, but I think that there is a piece missing from the discussion. The S1 system requires that the file server use the older “SMBv1” protocol. Modern operating systems are reluctant to do this, forcing users to jump through hoops. If this setup stops working in a few days, explore the SMBv1 detail.

For local libraries, SMB isn’t required for S1 or S2 these days (thanks to the SonosLibraryService), only an issue for NAS type devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

For local libraries, SMB isn’t required for S1 or S2 these days (thanks to the SonosLibraryService), only an issue for NAS type devices.

True. HTTP is always attempted first.

Thanks for the detail. I’ve never wanted my computer to be tasked with playing music and never attempted to play files stored on a computer.

The Sonos Tech set this up.  It didn’t help in my case.  So far my solution recently posted is working.

Ken