Skip to main content

Can I access the Music Library on my PC without running the Sonos app on my PC?

I keep my music library on my Windows 11 PC, but most of the speakers are in other rooms, and are controlled via the app on an IPhone or IPad. At present, I can only access the music library when the Sonos app is running on the PC. I suspect this is because I set up the Library on the PC, and the pathnames appear on the iPhone or Ipad in shortened form, e.g. as //PCNAME/Piano and Chamber, whereas the name on the PC itself is C:/Users/Myname/Music/Sonos folders/Piano and Chamber. I have tried to set up the music library using a longer pathname on the Ipad, but get the message “Computer is not responding”.

I have used Sonos in both wired and wireless form, but it has no effect on the problem. The configuration of my house means that I need to extend the Wifi, and in the past I have tried the patience of kindly Sonos experts with the problems caused by various Wifi extenders. However, I now have a TP-Link Mesh system, which should be less problematic.

I may be wrong about the cause of the problem, but would like to know whether the library can be accessed without running the PC app on the Windows computer where it is stored, and if so how. I have the impression that at one time in my long history with Sonos this used to be possible.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This should not be necessary. Once you’ve pointed the system to the folder the files are stored in, the app can be turned off: the app is only a remote to the system. You can’t turn the computer off of course.

@106rallye is correct. The PC app makes setup of the music library easier but doesn't need to be present for the files to be accessed.

My Music Library is on a NAS, for which an app doesn't even exist. 

Badge

Yes, my understanding was that it should not be necessary, and I am trying to understand why in my case, it is necessary. If I close the Sonos app on the PC (while of course leaving the PC on)  and try to play a track with the Ipad app I get the message "Unable to play [track] Unable to connect to //PCNAME/folder”. Starting the Sonos app on the PC will solve the problem.

Hi I have exactly the same problem…did you ever get this resolved? Is it still possible to phone contact Sonos tech support?

Just an add on..I contacted Sonos tech on phone today..problem solved as it is a given that you can’t access music library I.e from I tunes, stored on pc. I can however access all streaming methods..not as personal but hey ho. Thanks team..great service 😊

I’m confused.

You’re saying that a library stored on a PC’s hard drive, created by iTunes / Apple Music can’t be read and used by Sonos? 

Or do you mean that Sonos can’t access the data without installing the Sonos app on the PC?

I’d be very interested to know what Sonos support told you, specifically. 

Hi Bruce, apologies as I didn’t make it clear. I can access the files stored on my PC that can be read by Sonos. The problem that I had was that I couldn’t access them directly from my I pad app when the pc is not turned on which is really inconvenient. 
however, Sonos telephone support explained that that will always be the case. But what I can access directly from I pad without turning on the PC is all streaming services so I’ve had to re subscribe to Deezer. No big deal but for me it just feels less personal to not be using my own collected library.

Hope this makes sense. 😊

Sure, it makes perfect sense, how would Sonos be able to play music stored on a device that is turned off? This is one of the reasons I put my music on an NAS, so none of my computers need to be turned on. 

What’s NAS?
Im clearly not as IT literate 😅

Is it difficult to set up?

What’s NAS?
Im clearly not as IT literate 😅

Is it difficult to set up?

Network Attached Storage - its basically a network shared hard drive that’s cabled over Ethernet to the local network and has its own built in power supply/operating system and allows the drive contents to be shared with users on that network, but it has built in users, security and a variety of protocols that can be used for access to the content. Most will ‘sleep’ when not being used and are often far cheaper to run than leaving a PC powered on 24/7. Here is an example of one…

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Ultra-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B01AWH05GE

Users often use them for sharing music/movies/photos documents etc.

Ahhhh clever..it really helpful..I will look into this and thanks!

Your home router may already be able to offer a basic ‘NAS’ function by connecting a USB drive/stick to its USB port if it has one.