Answered

Can anybody suggest me an alternative to Sonos?

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Can anybody suggest me an alternative to Sonos? My system is practically a useless brick, hence it'll end up in the bin.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

RIP SONOS

icon

Best answer by JosDec 24 May 2024, 23:25

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can anybody suggest me an alternative to Sonos? My system is practically a useless brick, hence it'll end up in the bin.

Thanks

RIP SONOS

Yes. Your alternative is to show a little patience and wait a couple weeks.  They already fixed a lot of issues with the latest updates.  What makes you think they won’t fix the rest in a few weeks or so?

And I realize people experience the new app differently.  But for me it loads way faster, I don’t need to add a new device, so no issues there, and my 4 ones, Roam, and Port are always there. And access to my local library albums now works with the last fixes.  

I have one of my Ones hardwired.  I think that makes a lot of difference in happiness with Sonos both before and after the new app.  If you can hardwire just one of your devices the whole thing seems to work better. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Come on, @caesar327 - stop offering common sense suggestions to the hyperbole merchants. You know it’s not what they want 😜

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks

RIP SONOS

Yes. Your alternative is to show a little patience and wait a couple weeks.  They already fixed a lot of issues with the latest updates.  What makes you think they won’t fix the rest in a few weeks or so?

And I realize people experience the new app differently.  But for me it loads way faster, I don’t need to add a new device, so no issues there, and my 4 ones, Roam, and Port are always there. And access to my local library albums now works with the last fixes.  

I have one of my Ones hardwired.  I think that makes a lot of difference in happiness with Sonos both before and after the new app.  If you can hardwire just one of your devices the whole thing seems to work better. 

Patience? Sonos have taken a lot of people’s hard earned money for a product that doesn’t provide the very service that sold it to them in the first place ie play music from a library! Your comments are offensive to the loyal customers of sonos who had faith in the brand and never thought they would shafted by corporate greed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks

RIP SONOS

Forgot to mention, one of our products is hardwired, right next to the modem! It makes no difference at all. We are relying solely on Airplay now, which is not what we paid for!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks

RIP SONOS

Patience? Sonos have taken a lot of people’s hard earned money for a product that doesn’t provide the very service that sold it to them in the first place ie play music from a library! Your comments are offensive to the loyal customers of sonos who had faith in the brand and never thought they would shafted by corporate greed.

I’ve been a loyal customer for years.  I assume a fix for the various issues is forthcoming.  Why do you assume it is not?  And local library access now works for me.  Have you made sure to do all the latest updates and fixes, and followed the instructions for those still getting library errors?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks

RIP SONOS

I’ve been a loyal customer for years.  I assume a fix for the various issues is forthcoming.  Why do you assume it is not?  And local library access now works for me.  Have you made sure to do all the latest updates and fixes, and followed the instructions for those still getting library errors?

Yes, the latest update is what caused the issue. My system updates automatically, but I have checked for new updates, just in case. I have one hardwired product, as the update a while back caused issues with connectivity. The local libraries on iTunes and the MacBook have now gone and Sonos will not allow me to re-add them, yet it can read the NAS. Sonos support centre has actually responded to say that the upcoming fix is ‘not’ planning to help with this issue, yet in the same email, they acknowledge that a large number of customers have contacted them with the same issue. They apologise and say there is ‘no eta’ for this to be put right. Customer care? I don’t think so.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks

RIP SONOS

Yes, the latest update is what caused the issue. My system updates automatically, but I have checked for new updates, just in case. I have one hardwired product, as the update a while back caused issues with connectivity. The local libraries on iTunes and the MacBook have now gone and Sonos will not allow me to re-add them, yet it can read the NAS. Sonos support centre has actually responded to say that the upcoming fix is ‘not’ planning to help with this issue, yet in the same email, they acknowledge that a large number of customers have contacted them with the same issue. They apologise and say there is ‘no eta’ for this to be put right. Customer care? I don’t think so.

I realized after the initial update when I lost local library access, that Apple Music has all your stuff from your iTunes library (perhaps because I share the default music folder on my windows PC, which includes “iTunes Media”).  So have you tried the Apple Music service via Sonos to access your local iTunes library?  That worked for me as a work around.  All my local library albums and playlists in iTunes could be accessed that way and played in Sonos. 

Userlevel 2

Come on, @caesar327 - stop offering common sense suggestions to the hyperbole merchants. You know it’s not what they want 😜

I really can see the attitude that can create such a crap SW update. Carry on, but I’ll put all my 10 devices in the bin as they are completely useless!

And not, they won’t fix it in a few weeks as everytime they make a change the ruin everybody’s experience!

Remember how it did end up last time they were trying to push S2 and kill S1 altogether??!

Userlevel 2

Thanks

RIP SONOS

I’ve hit the Verified button by mistake and, as for everything made by F***** Sonos there is no option to UNDO.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Come on, @caesar327 - stop offering common sense suggestions to the hyperbole merchants. You know it’s not what they want 😜

I really can see the attitude that can create such a crap SW update. Carry on, but I’ll put all my 10 devices in the bin as they are completely useless!

And not, they won’t fix it in a few weeks as everytime they make a change the ruin everybody’s experience!

Remember how it did end up last time they were trying to push S2 and kill S1 altogether??!

It’s your money.  Bin them if you want.  But I think it’s smarter to see what happens in the next few weeks.  Don’t hurt nuthin to wait it out.  

Userlevel 2

It’s smarter to hunt for a new device, which was my question in the first place!

Any suggestions????

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Quote from above: “I assume a fix for the various issues is forthcoming.  Why do you assume it is not?”, “I realized after the initial update when I lost local library access, that Apple Music has all your stuff from your iTunes library (perhaps because I share the default music folder on my windows PC, which includes “iTunes Media”).  So have you tried the Apple Music service via Sonos to access your local iTunes library?  That worked for me as a work around.  All my local library albums and playlists in iTunes could be accessed that way and played in Sonos.”

We are right to ‘assume’, as I’ve been in contact with the Support Desk today and they say “After further discussions with our engineers an internal investigation was started as we have seen multiple cases where our customers were not able to add their Music library back to Sonos when using MacOS. We have no ETA for when a fix will be released so therefore, I cannot confirm that it will be in the upcoming update.”

Also, I’ve lost my libraries too, but don’t use any streaming services. I have iTunes but can’t access it using Sonos. I want the functionality that I was promised when I spent thousands on these products.

Badge

Anyone try reloading their phone from a backup from before the update? Just something to try.. I personally wait for Peter Pee to review any Sonos update after the sub mess a year or so ago….

Userlevel 2

I was forced to update. Old SONOS App would not respond without updating.

I AM TOTALLY SCREWED.

I invested in SONOS to play my owned (purchased) digital music archive.
The files are on a NAS drive. I have:
Play 5 (Media Room)
Play 3 (Studio)
Play 1 (pair) (Garage)
S1 (pair) (Office)
Port (to feed my analog vinyl and CD collection to SONOS

BEFORE update I could easily play my music in any room, or different music in different rooms; It was heaven— all controlled by iOS app.

I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.
REPEAT: I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.

AFTER update— NADA. ZIP, no music at all. Won’t recognize or connect to the NAS, won’t connect to a USB on my computer, won’t connect to a FOLDER on my computer. ABSOLUTLEY USELESS.

I’m going to cut my losses. $1000s + in equipment, hours of setup, and now hours of frustration.
Anyone want 7 boat anchors?
Any recommendations to feed my digital library throughout the house?
Perhaps AirPlay and new speakers will do the trick.

And SONOS remember—
1. it’s much easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new one.
2. An unhappy customer is much more vocal than a happy customer.
3. THINK Flywheel not Funnel. You burned me over and out. Lesson learned.

I was forced to update. Old SONOS App would not respond without updating.

I AM TOTALLY SCREWED.

I invested in SONOS to play my owned (purchased) digital music archive.
The files are on a NAS drive. I have:
Play 5 (Media Room)
Play 3 (Studio)
Play 1 (pair) (Garage)
S1 (pair) (Office)
Port (to feed my analog vinyl and CD collection to SONOS

BEFORE update I could easily play my music in any room, or different music in different rooms; It was heaven— all controlled by iOS app.

I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.
REPEAT: I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.

AFTER update— NADA. ZIP, no music at all. Won’t recognize or connect to the NAS, won’t connect to a USB on my computer, won’t connect to a FOLDER on my computer. ABSOLUTLEY USELESS.

I’m going to cut my losses. $1000s + in equipment, hours of setup, and now hours of frustration.
Anyone want 7 boat anchors?
Any recommendations to feed my digital library throughout the house?
Perhaps AirPlay and new speakers will do the trick.

And SONOS remember—
1. it’s much easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new one.
2. An unhappy customer is much more vocal than a happy customer.
3. THINK Flywheel not Funnel. You burned me over and out. Lesson learned.

Hold up. They changed the SMB requirements. Your library missing is probably this. What NAS? You should contact support, they should be able to walk you through the adjustment. Worst case you need to buy a new NAS 😬

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It’s smarter to hunt for a new device, which was my question in the first place!

Any suggestions????

I suggest taking a look at Wiim.  You could also run your system with Roon or LMS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

marcos51, izi0, 

first off, it is only natural that people are pissed off at this whole app debacle and looking for alternatives. (I see the same few provocateurs/ trolls trying to minimize the screwup, and attitude towards its customers by Sonos. I think they enjoy tweaking people. PAY THEM NO MIND, “be patient” or “Pretend this is not a massive screwup” are not really strategies!)  

There are a lot of alternatives to Sonos, and more coming on line all the time. Some cheaper, some more expensive, all more reliable. All produced by companies that are unlikely to declare war on its customer base (repeatedly) like Sonos. However I’ll give you one idea that has worked very well for me while waiting for a new system to arrive. I have been using Roon and it has been fabulous. It found my speakers and local library immediately. It has alot of nice features and makes playing my music easy. I am going to stay with Roon without the Sonos and be happy. Cost is fine. Additionally Roon sells software, so its pretty unlikely they would ever release something that disables your system. There are lots of Roon ready and Roon tested streamers available. You can look on their website. Best advice, ignore the eejits, find a great system that has more secure software than Sonos and move on and forget Sonos. I think its pretty obvious to anyone that investing in equipment now made by Sonos and being hostage to the whims of a distrustful company is pretty silly. 

Thanks

RIP SONOS

I agree!  This new app is a POS and whoever they hired to develop it should be fired!

I can’t even get a song to play.  The app keeps asking me to update then flips to a login screen then repeats. 
very frustrating to say the least    

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@izi0 with so many of us unhappy this is a great place for a discussion like this.

Because making decisions like this in haste often leads to regret my planned approach is:

• Short term - accept that things are lest than perfect with Sonos which is an understatement. I am managing to limp along as is mainly by ignoring the messages that tell me my system is no more and launching the app multiple times until it works. I also have work around like using an alarm for my sleep timer at night.
  • Medium term - I will look at options. Yamaha will be high on my list as I have a number of their guitars and other musical equipment and they are a brand I trust. I will also continue to see how the app evolves to help determine when, not if, I will move away from Sonos. The disdain they have shown us is reprehensible. But there is a reason that I have 13 Sonos speakers across 5 rooms and it works. What I won’t be doing is upgrading a pair of surrounds, Play:1 to Era 100, and a Play:3 to Era 300. I planned to do this because of how good the Era 100s are as surrounds in a room that I just set up.
  • Long term - the simple fact is that my Sonos system does what I want and sounds good. Sure there are ways that I could improve it but I was really happy with the Play:1 surrounds before I heard the Era 100. My guess is that I have a good 5 to 10 years left with the speakers that I have so as long as Sonos don’t do anything else stupid, and assuming the app gets fixed, I will just enjoy what I have. If an individual speaker fails then I’ll probably look at eBay for a replacement. My current assumption is that I would need to replace everything at once when I do but that does not factor in the way that my circumstances will change.

If I had a smaller setup, or if multi room was not important to me, I would probably have already purchased something else because this has disrupted my music listening experience. 

And do keep in mind that selling our speakers does not impact Sonos because they already have our money for the speakers that we have. What hurts them is not adding speakers, not upgrading speakers and not buying the new headphones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Anyone try reloading their phone from a backup from before the update? Just something to try.. I personally wait for Peter Pee to review any Sonos update after the sub mess a year or so ago….

Unfortunately, iOS backups do not capture your apps in full, only a ‘pointer’ to the app. Restoring from a backup pulls the LATEST versions of each app from the app store. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Audirvana definitely deserves a look for those with a ‘desktop’ setup. Audirvana is a beautiful and high-audio-quality player that excels with local library music (as well as lossless streaming music). It is primarily useful driving speakers directly from your Windows/Mac machine, though it does support UpNP/DLNA/Chromecast devices. And there is a ‘remote’ mobile app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

All

Please can we maintain polite usage on the forum. I know people are upset but this forum doesn’t improve when there is aggression or swearing between users.  If this continues, someone will be removed from the forum and so please keep things polite and allow users to discuss issues openly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately, iOS backups do not capture your apps in full, only a ‘pointer’ to the app. Restoring from a backup pulls the LATEST versions of each app from the app store. 

And it wouldn’t capture any firmware updates to the Sonos devices either - A non starter I suspect.

And it wouldn’t capture any firmware updates to the Sonos devices either - A non starter I suspect.

Yeah if you’ve updated firmware it’s likely the old 16.1 app wont work. If anyone knows for sure please correct me. 
Prob better to go with the desktop app or SonoPhone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yeah if you’ve updated firmware it’s likely the old 16.1 app wont work. If anyone knows for sure please correct me. 

I’m running the 16.2 firmware and the Android 16.1 app works great.