Skip to main content
Answered

Best Amazon device

• 21 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi I’ve several Sonos amps plus in-ceiling speakers. None of these speakers are voice enabled. Can I use an Amazon device such as a “Dot” or “Echo” to control the music?

if this is possible what is the best device ?

thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, an Echo device can be used to control the Amps using Alexa.

Since you seem to be using the Echo device primarily to control the Amps, I would go with an Echo Dot. Even the second or third generation Dots will work just fine.

Any Amazon Alexa device will work, or indeed any Sonos speaker with voice assistant capabilities, such as…

• Roam 
  • One
  • Era 100/300
  • Move/Move 2
  • Beam/Beam (gen2)
  • Arc

Yes, an Echo device can be used to control the Amps using Alexa.

Since you seem to be using the Echo device primarily to control the Amps, I would go with an Echo Dot. Even the second or third generation Dots will work just fine.

If you are in a country that does not have Alexa Sonos integration, you will need to have an Echo device that has a line out jack to wire into the Sonos Amp. Many of the latest Echo devices do not have this jack. If you can get hold of a older generation Show 5 that has this jack, it will also give you the benefit of album art display of what is playing.

PS: note that the album art feature on Show units works only if the integration is via a wired connection. There is also a way to get this on a latest generation Show that does not have these jacks - get an old Dot, that has the out jack, wire that to the amp and in Alexa make a group of the Dot and the Show; the latter will then show what the Dot is supplying to the amp via the wire. Leave the volume level on the Show at zero because the sound will not be in sync with Sonos.