Skip to main content
Question

Apple TV and Airplay Issues

• 12 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I’m having issues getting Airplay 2 audio to work with my stereo paired Sonos One speakers. YouTube works reliably, but other apps do not work even after setting the Audio Format option to Change Format On and New Format “Stereo”. I’ve also tried the 5.1 setting but get the same behavior.

Weirdly, I’m able to get the speakers working if I wear my AirPods Pro, connect them to the Apple TV, and then change the audio to the Sonos speakers. (To confirm I left the room with the AirPods in to avoid a perception issue). In this situation, I hear the Apple TV navigation sounds in my AirPods, but the content audio on the speakers.

Looking for help on additional troubleshooting steps to try. The Apple TV is on the same WiFi as the speakers, I’ve tried this with the speakers paired and unpaired.

Thanks!

1 reply

The Sonos speaker doesn’t ‘know’ what is sending the signal, it is merely receiving an AirPlay 2 signal. If YouTube is working, that means the connection to your speakers is working.

As a guess, you’re having Apple issues with your other apps, it may be that they have not implemented AirPlay 2. You may get better help from Apple folks, or folks that maintain the applications you’re running.