Answered

Apple Music search not showing songs

• 21 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi, I’m testing out Apple Music, and have noticed that the only songs that show up are those in my library (instead of the all the songs on the service). Is this expected behavior? With YouTube Music, for example, I can search for and play any song in their catalog.  Clicking into “My Library” for Apple Music shows more results, but none that match the song. I was able to open the Apple Music app and find the song in their catalog, so they do have it available for streaming.

I submitted a diagnostic report: 988653685

Here’s a sample screenshot of the search results:

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 January 2021, 01:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The search probably works in a different way to the Apple App, or the YouTube Service and is perhaps slightly more specific - try selecting the songs tab and just enter the song title ‘bite down’ - you should see results similar to the attached screenshot. Some of the searches across the various Music services are implemented in different ways by their providers.

You can sometimes expand to see further results from a particular music service by selecting the right arrow > next to the music service name too.

The search probably works in a different way to the Apple App, or the YouTube Service and is perhaps slightly more specific - try selecting the songs tab and just enter the song title ‘bite down’ - you should see results similar to the attached screenshot. Some of the searches across the various Music services are implemented in different ways by their providers.

This was exactly it. Specifically, unlike with YouTube Music, the Apple Music will only search against the song title. By adding the artist names, I was effectively excluding all songs with the title. Once I clicked into the Apple Music results, I did see the song in question. Additionally, once I selected it, it was prioritized above the fold during subsequent queries.

I’m not very pleased with the quality of the Apple Music integration, but it’s technically not broken, I guess.

Might be worth passing that on to Apple, who did that integration.

Posted a comment , then figured it out. Wanted to delete my comment but I can’t. I can only edit.

It is frustrating to be unable to delete posts. InSided, the company who makes this forum software, apparently don’t see it as an important feature.