Skip to main content

Apple Music Playlists: We've Run Into a Problem

• 26 November 2023
  • 55 replies

For the last week (at least) our Sonos system cannot access my Apple Music playlists. When I select playlists (or Recent) it says "We've run into a problem. Try again later."

All other features of Apple Music appear to work including songs, albums, artists, etc.

I've already reinstalled the app. I've reauthorized the Apple Music account. These did not work.

Any idea?

Also this is my first post but I've had a LOT of issues with Apple Music working with sonos over the past 2 years. It's been pretty bad and unreliable.

Thanks

Greg

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Same problem as everyone else here. No network issues, restarted the Sonos, some playlists work fine in Apple Music, some don’t (and throw the error everyone else is mentioning). It won’t even let me add the songs from the playlists to Sonos playlists. Clearly a Sonos issue, as Apple Music works everywhere else I try to use it.

FYI, I’ve tried creating a new playlist from scratch and immediately tried using it in Sonos, and I’m getting the same error.

That’s the point at which I would submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

First of all thank for the detailed response @Ken_Griffiths. Much appreciated. The issue with me is that I get the error the moment I enter the playlist menu. So creating new playlist doesn’t solve the issue as I cannot see them. The same thing happens with the “recently added” category. Everything else under Apple Music in Sonos app works just fine(albums, songs)

I’ve also re-authorized Apple Music service. Restarted router and turn the Sonos devices on and off. Also I doubt this is an account issue as I can play everything from Apple Music except custom made lists. 

How big is your playlist? I had the same problem with the playlist with 60+ songs. I eventually split this playlist in two in AM and now they are showing in Sonos app correctly.

Userlevel 2

I’ve 

That’s the point at which I would submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I’ve submitted the system diagnostic for this issue in 2 separate occasions to 2 separate support people and both said they didn’t see a problem, or implied that there was no obvious issue.

Next the Sonos Support Agent will request to take over your device, then they will log into a different Apple Music account to show that it works for their test account. Then you log back into your Apple Music account and the issue appears. Then they tell you it’s Apple Music’s fault.

Then you contact Apple, and over a couple weeks of bouncing around support you will eventually be talking to a senior person. They will request you use an iOS device so they can better troubleshoot the issue, but then ultimately say it’s Sonos’ problem.

Then you go back to Sonos and repeat.

The network suggestions don’t make sense because other Apple Music features work fine. For example, I can pull up the hundreds of artists and songs from my Apple Music through Sonos. Just not the playlists or the “recently” list, but mainly want the Playlists to work.

I have about 90 playlists.

Userlevel 2

How big is your playlist? I had the same problem with the playlist with 60+ songs. I eventually split this playlist in two in AM and now they are showing in Sonos app correctly.

To clarify, this issue is not about a single playlist. This issue is about Sonos not displaying ANY playlists from Apple Music. I think a different error for a single playlist could be different and unrelated here.

The detective in me thinks that maybe we all added some cursed song to our playlists that broke Sonos. It would explain why Playlists and Recently Added are broken. If we could just find which song or what we did and then undo it...but joking aside there could be some dumb reason like we added a song with a title containing a forbidden character like a backslash, quotes or something. I’ve been through that with software development myself. Sonos is taking the data from Apple Music and displaying it themselves, so there could be some unhandled exception when it comes across the bad character so it crashes the entire list.

I’ve submitted the system diagnostic for this issue in 2 separate occasions to 2 separate support people and both said they didn’t see a problem, or implied that there was no obvious issue.

Next the Sonos Support Agent will request to take over your device, then they will log into a different Apple Music account to show that it works for their test account. Then you log back into your Apple Music account and the issue appears. Then they tell you it’s Apple Music’s fault.

Then you contact Apple, and over a couple weeks of bouncing around support you will eventually be talking to a senior person. They will request you use an iOS device so they can better troubleshoot the issue, but then ultimately say it’s Sonos’ problem.

Then you go back to Sonos and repeat.

The network suggestions don’t make sense because other Apple Music features work fine. For example, I can pull up the hundreds of artists and songs from my Apple Music through Sonos. Just not the playlists or the “recently” list, but mainly want the Playlists to work.

I have about 90 playlists.

If the Sonos Support Staff remotely took control of your system and used a different Apple account login and the playlists you were having a problem with, played okay under the ‘altered’ Apple account login credentials, then that certainly sounds like good evidence to me that it’s an Apple account problem. I’m surprised Apple support did not accept that as a ‘good reason’ to investigate things further at their end.

Their Staff must be able to remote to your network too and test these things for themselves like the Sonos Staff were able to do. If I had the same issue, I would have gone back to Apple and invited them to see the issue for themselves and perhaps demonstrate how things change when they repeat the steps with a different AppleID.

same issue here too..

“We've run into a problem”

not on all playlists..   just some

same issue here too..

Are these your own playlists, or publicly shared/available playlists - if the latter, can you post a link and I will see if I see the same issue on my account during playback. As an example, here is a shared link to the ‘Hits in Spatial Audio’ playlist taken from the Apple Music App which plays fine on my setup…

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/hits-in-spatial-audio/pl.ba2404fbc4464b8ba2d60399189cf24e

I’m just thinking if people share their ‘problem playlists’ others can perhaps see if they do play and that might point to the issue being with the Apple account (perhaps), or the actual playlist, when playing on Sonos devices. I will just add the playlist to my cloud library and see if I can play it via the Sonos App service.

For the last week (at least) our Sonos system cannot access my Apple Music playlists. When I select playlists (or Recent) it says "We've run into a problem. Try again later."

All other features of Apple Music appear to work including songs, albums, artists, etc.

I've already reinstalled the app. I've reauthorized the Apple Music account. These did not work.

Any idea?

Also this is my first post but I've had a LOT of issues with Apple Music working with sonos over the past 2 years. It's been pretty bad and unreliable.

Thanks

Greg

I have this same issue and was hoping for a solution but keep reading that one side blames the other. The other day, I was on my PlayStation 5 and I have the Apple music app on there. So I thought I'd play some music from my playlist library and would you believe it, the 'we've run into a problem' message came up on my PS5. So...my thinking is that this Is an Apple Music playlist issue, not a sonos one. I'm now recreating my playlists with another service to then remove apple music from my sonos account. Not ideal, but a work around.

same issue here too..

Are these your own playlists, or publicly shared/available playlists - if the latter, can you post a link and I will see if I see the same issue on my account during playback. As an example, here is a shared link to the ‘Hits in Spatial Audio’ playlist taken from the Apple Music App which plays fine on my setup…

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/hits-in-spatial-audio/pl.ba2404fbc4464b8ba2d60399189cf24e

I’m just thinking if people share their ‘problem playlists’ others can perhaps see if they do play and that might point to the issue being with the Apple account (perhaps), or the actual playlist, when playing on Sonos devices. I will just add the playlist to my cloud library and see if I can play it via the Sonos App service.

yes, the ones that have issues are my own playlists..

here is a link to the playlist..

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/dinner-mix/pl.u-Ggb6UZd32qV

thanks for the collaboration on working the issue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is anyone reporting trouble with Apple Music playlists here using S1 per chance?

I just tried to debug this myself using my wife’s AM account, but I’ve only got it on my S2 system. I didn’t have any issues enumerating Playlists, or Recent, my only problem was the usual 1002 error when trying to add a huge playlist (over 1000 songs) to the queue, and that was easily worked-around.

Has anyone been able to tie the problem with the size of the playlist?  Smaller playlists whether ones I’ve created or Apple created have always worked fine.  However the big boy family playlist, ~3000 songs, has always taken a few attempts to get playing.  For the last week or two I’ve had zero success and am getting the same error message all of you are reporting.

Sorry just seeing page 2 of this thread.  What’s the work around for a large playlist beyond making it smaller?  It’s worked reasonably well for years.

I have the same problem, suddenly no Apple playlists appear in the Sonos app anymore and it the same issue in both of our houses, Spotify works fine.

I have done what everyone else has in regards to calling Sonos reseting routers and speakers with no success, the fact it is happening in two different locations suggests its a Sonos issue to me.

I now use the Sonos app for Spotify and airplay for Apple Music 

It’s happening to me as well. In my case, I started seeing this problem last month in my Apple Music app on my Tesla, where I cannot access anyting in my own library, including saved songs and playlists. Recently I noticed it doesn’t work on my Sonos IOS/ Desktop apps either. So I feel like it’s more of an Apple problem.

Badge

I need to add myself to the frustrated customers who have been using Sonos for a long time.

I changed from Qobus to Apple Music because there were myriad issues connecting Qobus and Sonos. For a month or so I had no problems with they setup.

Now when I try to connect my alarms to the apple Playlists, the Sonos app cant read them.

Nowhere within my Sonos app can it ready my apple music Playlists.

My problem calling Sonos is that I live in Italy and the service I 10am to 6pm Monday through Friday- I'm at work and don't have access to my Sonos during these times.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,

Since Apple is providing the stream to your Sonos devices, contact Apple? 

Just started having this issue but only on one playlist and only after the latest iOS update that added collaboration in playlists (and I added a collaborator). The duplicate playlist Apple creates automatically works fine as does my other playlists without collaborators. 

Badge

I can report everything this evening was fine until I added a shared playlist from my daughter, then I got the "We've run into a problem. Try again later." issue.  Once I deleted that playlist everything was fine again (I could see all the usual playlists).   I can't say if this was an issue with it just being a shared playlist or if that playlist had an issue with one of the songs.  Either way, it should not destroy the ability to see all the other play lists.  This seems like a Sonos issue since within iTunes, the shared playlist was working just fine - I was able to play it through my computer to the Sonos speaker via airplay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can report everything this evening was fine until I added a shared playlist from my daughter, then I got the "We've run into a problem. Try again later." issue.  Once I deleted that playlist everything was fine again (I could see all the usual playlists).   I can't say if this was an issue with it just being a shared playlist or if that playlist had an issue with one of the songs.  Either way, it should not destroy the ability to see all the other play lists.  This seems like a Sonos issue since within iTunes, the shared playlist was working just fine - I was able to play it through my computer to the Sonos speaker via airplay.

This is 100% an Apple issue. The playlist enumeration code in their SMAPI endpoint is crashing when finding a collaborative playlist. These playlists are new to iOS 17.3 which is why this just started happening.

The fact iTunes works is irrelevant to this, totally different codebase.

Nice debugging work @msieckmann !

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Similar issue - My entire Apple Music Library is accessible on my Sonos app except my Apple Music Playlists.  I can access my recently added music, artists, albums, songs... but not my playlists.  I did the obvious troubleshooting like reauthorizing account and deleting the Apple Music service and reinstalling.  I called the support line, spoke with a representative, went through all the obvious troubleshooting (listed above), and still can’t get my playlists to populate.

I spent an hour on the phone with Sonos customer support last night and after all the troubleshooting, we were unable to resolve the issue.  I get the same message when trying to access my Apple Music Playlists:  “We’ve run into a problem.  Try again.”  It seems very odd that I can access EVERYTHING in my Apple Music Library EXCEPT the Playlists.

None of my playlists are the new collaborative types and none of my playlists have the same name.

I have about 80 playlists in total, ranging from a handful of songs to several hundred songs, the largest being about 1,000 songs.  Most of them are in the 200 - 500 song range.  Is there a new limit on how many playlists / songs it allows, and if you exceed that it just prevents ANY of them from showing up? I say NEW limit, because all of my playlists were showing up in the Playlist folder a few months ago. 

Another interesting note - my recently added music is accessible, including songs, albums AND RECENTLY CREATED PLAYLISTS.  The recently created playlists do not show up in the Playlist folder, but they do show up in Recently Added folder.  But the Recently Added music folder only goes back so far, so only a handful of playlists that I recently created are accessible through that folder.  So it’s not a matter of accessing a playlist, as long as it’s recently created.  It’s an issue of the new and older playlists not showing up in the Playlist folder.  This is a relatively new issue.  The playlists were all accessible a few months ago.  So what has changed?  Thank you.  

Apple changed. The Sonos controller hasn’t. I’d be talking with Apple about the issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Apple changed. The Sonos controller hasn’t. I’d be talking with Apple about the issue.

All speculation at this point.  I can’t get a straight answer from Sonos or Apple.  All I know is my Apple Music Playlists work fine on every platform EXCEPT the Sonos app.  Which leads me to believe it’s a Sonos issue.  Of course there’s no way of me really knowing that… 

All Sonos does is point to an Apple server that has the SMAPI (Sonos Music Application Programming Interface) installed on it. This would be a different server that Apple has stood up for Sonos, as most streaming companies do. 

It is certainly possible that Apple has made a change that isn’t supported by SMAPI, but Sonos, to my knowledge, doesn’t write individual SMAPIs for each streaming company, just one that serves all streams. My guess is that Apple needs to tweak their server to serve those SMAPI endpoints properly, but Apple always is convinced that everyone needs to bend to them, in my experience, and it’s likely the percentage of Sonos connections is dwarfed by other connections, and it isn’t a priority for Apple.

A lot of speculation on my part, but based on knowledge of how Sonos works (see the Sonos partners page) and my previous experience in attempting to work with Apple on getting work ‘approved’ through their stores.