Apple Music Playlists: We've Run Into a Problem

• 26 November 2023
  • 55 replies

For the last week (at least) our Sonos system cannot access my Apple Music playlists. When I select playlists (or Recent) it says "We've run into a problem. Try again later."

All other features of Apple Music appear to work including songs, albums, artists, etc.

I've already reinstalled the app. I've reauthorized the Apple Music account. These did not work.

Any idea?

Also this is my first post but I've had a LOT of issues with Apple Music working with sonos over the past 2 years. It's been pretty bad and unreliable.

Thanks

Greg

55 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This might be a situation where you need input from Sonos support. Generate a Diagnostics report and contact Sonos. The report may have more detail on the problem. 

And in the meantime, try a reboot of your router. It sounds like the speakers are having trouble reaching the Apple servers, or at least certain portions of them. 

I’ve rebooted router and reinstalled all speakers. no luck.

I went through Sonos support and the diagnostics report showed no issue. Sonos claims the issue is with Apple Music.

I went through Apple Music support and they see no problem on their end.

It’s very frustrating. The Sonos app for Windows shows the same error.

Userlevel 1

I am having the SAME issues since just prior to Thanksgiving.   I have rebooted router, i have unplugged my amps and let them all reconnect.  This has not fixed the problem.  I have no issues with amazon music, pandora, sirius xm - all load perfectly fine but Apple Music Playlist will not load.   Hoping there is an app update SOON to fix this.    I love SONOS but this is beyond frustrating. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I do not have a solution, nor did I encounter this issue.

Just chipping in to share the fact that I do not use the Sonos app for playing Apple Music, as it does not support Smart Playlists, which I use a lot…

So I use Airplay. Either manually via my Apple devices or via Siri. As I have added my Sonos speakers to Apple Home, I am able to say: Hey Siri, shuffle the playlist “My Five Stars” on Sonos (the name I gave the speakers in the Apple Home app).

I am having the SAME issues since just prior to Thanksgiving.   I have rebooted router, i have unplugged my amps and let them all reconnect.  This has not fixed the problem.  I have no issues with amazon music, pandora, sirius xm - all load perfectly fine but Apple Music Playlist will not load.   Hoping there is an app update SOON to fix this.    I love SONOS but this is beyond frustrating. 

Sorry to hear your troubles but I’m happy to not be alone! maybe increases our chances of Sonos fixing this.

I’ve been through three tiers of Apple Support this week. I talked to a senior tech guy who spent hours on the phone with me trying to diagnose it, and he is convinced the issue is with Sonos. While this is the first time he’s seen this issue, he says every time an issue like this pops up it’s on Sonos end not Apples.

The bottom line from Apple is that if the problematic feature works in Apple Music app on the same device as the Sonos app, it should work in Sonos. If it doesn’t work, the issue is with Sonos. They explained the way Sonos works with Apple Music is through the Apple Music app itself. And this is cooraborated because you can’t add Apple Music Services through say, Windows desktop or Mac OS. It must be a device with the Apple Music App.

Now Apple recently released Apple Music app for Windows (and I’m sure they’ve had it for a while on MacOS), so Sonos should probably update things to support Apple Music through Windows soon, but that’s another story.

The problem with Sonos is that the support people remoted into my device and logged into their test Apple Music account and it all worked. Then we logged back into my account and the error returned, so from Sonos support view point the issue is still with Apple.

I don't know what to do next.

I HIGHLY regret investing in Sonos Five it’s huge and doesn’t even have bluetooth! I could just connect through bluetooth as a backup but now I can’t even do that!

Having tried muzconvtool with ease and great success, I can say that it is the solution for your seamless music transfer worries.  With muzconvtool, I was able to transfer playlists, albums and other components across different platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and Youtube Music, no sweat.  I suggest that you give muzconvtool a try and see for yourself how good it is.

I have the same problem, and it sucks!  I don’t have any advice to offer, just wanted to add myself to the list of frustrated users. Maybe it will get more attention from Sonos. 

Have had the same issue for over a week.  Apple playlist just disappeared from Sonos.  I can still play albums and songs via Apple so its not a login issue.  Nonetheless, my apple music playlists don't show in Sonos and  I get the same error everybody else is seeing, which finishes with "try again". This issue applys to all 4 users in my household on the system. I performed the standard process, reset system, reinstalled, re-initiated, etc.  All failed to fix the issue.

I highly doubt that this is an Apple issue, if it was they would have fixed it already.

You have one job, connect music via your app to your proprietary speakers via wifi. 

Do better.

Have had the same issue for over a week.  Apple playlist just disappeared from Sonos.  I can still play albums and songs via Apple so its not a login issue.  Nonetheless, my apple music playlists don't show in Sonos and  I get the same error everybody else is seeing, which finishes with "try again". This issue applys to all 4 users in my household on the system. I performed the standard process, reset system, reinstalled, re-initiated, etc.  All failed to fix the issue.

I highly doubt that this is an Apple issue, if it was they would have fixed it already.

You have one job, connect music via your app to your proprietary speakers via wifi. 

Do better.

Isn’t this due to the recent changes in Apple’s .xml file export? - I think they’ve changed the name of the library text file. So now you know that, perhaps you can fix it. Just to also add its Apple developers that will need to fix this, as it’s a Sonos published API used by all the various music services.

Also Apple needs to fix the new ‘Favourite’ playlist on their Sonos Service too, which they launched in iOS 17.1.

Just having the same issue. Can’t add my personal music to Sonos list.

Just adding that I’m facing the same issue. I noticed the issue started a week ago. I can play playlists made by Apple Music but I cannot play playlists I created in Apple Music. I can see my playlist (with kinda outdated picture, since I changed it) but when I press it I’m greeted with “we run into issues, try again” message.

owner of Sonos Arc + Gen 3 Sub

it was literally working fine a week ago.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a LOT invested in a LOT of Sonos products at this point, mainly for the convenience WHEN it works, which seems to be less and less over time/updates. The Apple Music issue is a pretty significant issue and inconvenience. The solution always seems to be reboot speakers and router, or factory reset and re-add the units back into the system. One of the things that really gripes me about Sonos is as far as they seem to be concerned, it’s NEVER their problem or fault. They always default to it’s the user’s network that’s the problem, or the service’s issue but never; never is the problem Sonos’ to deal with.
And that seems to be the end of where they’re willing to go; no further.

It’s becoming so frustrating that I’ve considered ditching their brand altogether, getting rid of all my Sonos products, as well as recommending all who ask me (there are many) to stay away from this brand.

I have an IT/computer background spanning 40 years and have a clue. I also have an enterprise level network at home. It’s not the network…

That said, and to be fair… In this case Apple Music (which they are… particular to work with) may have some responsibility in this issue/fix honestly but at the end of the day, it’s Sonos’ responsibility to stay on top of changes in client services’ APIs. Especially in cases like Apple, where changes are published/shared with customers of their API well ahead of time so that they can be addressed by the OEM to avoid end user issues. Seems like Sonos ignored some notices lately, as this issue is bigger than a single or small group of users. It seems they (Sonos) could at least notify their customers “hey we’ve found an issue and are working to get it sorted” but it seems their default response is always arrogantly “not our problem… reboot your router.”

Very frustrating.

Just having the same issue. Can’t add my personal music to Sonos list.

I don’t have this reported issue? …

So just as an example, a few seconds ago, I created a new playlist called Test for prouge1528 in the Apple Music native App and added some tracks to it… a few seconds later it appears in the Sonos App and can be played and it works fine. All my other Apple playlists seem to be working fine too. Everything plays. Maybe it’s an Apple account issue, but it’s all working okay here.

Screenshots attached.

The playlist is playing fine too, see…

…and here is another playlist, created seconds ago, called chuckhawk and Majordomo (see below) and that has immediately fed itself through to the Sonos App too and no issues playing that Playlist either. 

So it does make me wonder if this matter is an Apple user-account issue in this instance. My son in law uses Apple too and he has lots of playlists that he uses via the Sonos App and no issues reported there either.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Interesting @Ken_Griffiths.
First off, I’m digging the Glenn Miller! Nice! (I took my high school GF to a Glenn Miller Orch. show when we were still teens - in the early 80s, where we were the youngest people in the venue and I think we also had the most fun. LOL Been a fan of Dorsey, Miller and other big bands since before my teen years!)

Anyway, I have reauthorized my Apple Music account, etc. to test but no avail - in the desktop Sonos clients. That said, now that I’m in this thread, what HAS now begun to work is new Apple Music playlists showing up in the iOS (iPhone) version of the Sonos client. When I saw your response, I did the same as you - created a new playlist to experiment with and… it works; at least on my phone. Maybe the change will propagate later to the other clients(?). I suppose it just needed you to post a response! :-)

Thanks for jumping in so quickly and taking the time to add nicely detailed responses!!!

Cheers!

Userlevel 3
Badge

All that said… I work for Apple (not in the Apple Music project though) and know that they alert their vertical customers when changes are coming that could affect APIs and integration, etc.

I have a hard time believing that any updates (such as the library & XML updates mentioned by your earlier post - which XML was designed as a self descriptive markup ‘language’ to avoid these kinds of situations) weren’t communicated to clients like Sonos early enough for them to accommodate them in their corresponding systems. (Check the spam folder, Sonos? LOL JK)

Seriously though, I get that this may not be strictly a Sonos issue.

Again, thanks for your responses!!

C

First of all thank for the detailed response @Ken_Griffiths. Much appreciated. The issue with me is that I get the error the moment I enter the playlist menu. So creating new playlist doesn’t solve the issue as I cannot see them. The same thing happens with the “recently added” category. Everything else under Apple Music in Sonos app works just fine(albums, songs)

I’ve also re-authorized Apple Music service. Restarted router and turn the Sonos devices on and off. Also I doubt this is an account issue as I can play everything from Apple Music except custom made lists. 

@Majordomo,

In that case it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter. 

I wonder if a different DNS on the router might make any difference and perhaps solve this issue too, but see what the Support Staff can discover first.

Interesting @Ken_Griffiths.
First off, I’m digging the Glenn Miller! Nice! (I took my high school GF to a Glenn Miller Orch. show when we were still teens - in the early 80s, where we were the youngest people in the venue and I think we also had the most fun. LOL Been a fan of Dorsey, Miller and other big bands since before my teen years!)

I’d have loved to have been at that show… Nice. What’s not to like about Glen Miller, eh?

Anyhow I hope ALL the issues you’re seeing with the Apple service get resolved.🤞

We have a lot of Sonos devices and we have been customers for well over a decade with never a problem. But it started for us about 2 weeks ago. At first only newly created playlists did not work and had the “We've Run Into a Problem” error, older playlists worked fine. Then, today, without any warning, all Apple Music playlists are inaccessible with the “We've Run Into a Problem”error. This is beyond frustrating and I blame both Apple (for for continual incremental tweaks that bring user pain: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it Apple) and Sonos (for not dealing with this OCD behavior from Apple).

The good news is Apple music is easy to terminate while we have over a dozen Sonos devices in our large home and property. Spotify worked fine but the need to multiple accounts  to play music in each vehicle or the home was cutoff  was the deal breaker. So I went with Apple Music 2 years ago. I’ll be shopping for a new music service starting today and will buy no more Sonos products either nor will I recommend them. Vendors need to maintain their software when it is necessary to operate their products.

This sounds like some sort of network issue, rather than a problem with the hardware. And because it’s a single stream, rather than all streams, I’d suggest it’s the network outside of your house, not inside. I would be interested in a test, if you’re willing to take the time. Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router/modem. This will force a DNS update on your router, and it should pick up any potential changes in DNS instructions. Finally, plug back in your Sonos devices, which should reload their own DNS tables from the refreshed router. Give them a couple of minutes to finish rebooting, then test. Does the issue continue with Apple Music?

Another potential issue, you didn’t specify which OS you’re running on the Sonos, nor the specific Sonos device. I’ve read in other threads that Sonos is looking at an S2 issue with older CONNECTs and/or CONNECT:AMPs with failing RAM inside them, causing issues with some streaming companies, presumably those with ‘fatter’ data streams. You may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Bought two ‘Sonos ones’ six weeks ago to make a stereo pair, playing from Apple Music App on a Samsung phone. Clunky but working well ‘til yesterday.

Now getting message as above when trying to play from one of my (maybe too many) Apple Music playlists.

Apple still works on the phone, can access playlists when bluetoothed with the WonderBoom,  but not when trying to use the Sonos App. Have rebooted everything, no joy.

@LuddGang , I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.