Apple Music Playlist Artwork

• 17 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hello,

For a long time now, I've been having issues with Apple Music playlist artwork showing up as a generic icon on the S2 app on my iPhone, and the same results are from the desktop controller on my Windows 10 laptop

I have finally figured out why this is happening, but I still need to figure out how to fix it.

If I add the playlists from Apple Music to a Sonos Playlist using the following option, the artwork shows up as expected (see below).

I select the option to "Add to Sonos Playlist", and the artwork shows correctly.  The playlist is indicated as a Sonos Playlist.

If I use the "Add Playlist to My Sonos" option, the album art only shows up as a generic icon, and the playlist is indicated as an Apple Music Playlist.

I noticed on the Desktop controller on my Windows laptop that there are two different sections for playlists.  One is called Sonos Favorites, and the other is called Sonos Playlists.  The "Add to Sonos Playlist" option adds the playlist to the Sonos Playlists section on the Desktop controller.  The "Add Playlist to My Sonos" option adds the playlist to the Sonos Favorites section on the Desktop controller.

On the S2 app on my iPhone, all of the playlists show up under Playlists on the My Sonos tab in the app.

None of this behaviour appears to affect the Spotify library playlists that have been added.  They are indicated as Spotify Playlist (see below):

The issue is that I need these playlists to be listed in the Sonos Favorites section because I use IFTTT for some home automation to play specific playlists on certain Sonos speakers for various reasons.

Can you apply the same logic to the Sonos Favorites that you do to the Sonos Playlists so that the artwork shows up no matter how the playlists are added to Sonos?

I'm unsure how to fix this, as it appears to be a programming issue.

The alternative would be to allow IFTTT to read Sonos Playlists rather than just Sonos Favorites, and then I wouldn't have to use Sonos Favorites at all any longer.

Please let me know what can be done to fix this.

Thank you

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @kwjohn1969 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I've marked this thread as a feature request - I don’t think there’s a way around what you are trying to do - and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

I can confirm that this issue appears and bothers me as well!