Skip to main content

Apple Music Play history questions

• 14 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Ok I am not sure I am going to be able to ask this correctly, but I will try… We currently have an S2 system with multiple speakers.  We mostly use Apple Music for all of our cloud music uses and Sonos is no exception.  Here is the problem, I would like Apple Music songs we play on our Sonos system to not affect the algorithm (play counts, recommendations, etc) on my Apple Music account.  The songs we listen to as a family (two young kids) and the songs my wife plays for work (preschool) are greatly affecting my Apple Music listening experience on my own devices.  What is the best way to get around this?  I am hoping to make an Apple Music account with a “Family” Apple ID, but how does that affect the Sonos app and voice control?  Just trying to wrap my head around this and see if there is a solution…

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don’t believe that music played through the Sonos application (in contrast to using AirPlay 2, which uses the Apple Music player) doesn’t get ‘counted ‘in your Apple profile. You could probably test this fairly easily. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Airgetlam There’s a double negative in your answer. Do you believe the music played on Sonos does or does not get counted. I remember reading it does not, but I’m not an Apple music user myself.

Good point, posting from a hotel while traveling doesn’t help. 

My belief is playback when using the Sonos controller’s connection does not get ‘counted’ by Apple’s servers.

When using the Apple Music ‘app’, and AirPlay 2 to get the result to the Sonos does get counted. 

Good point, posting from a hotel while traveling doesn’t help. 

My belief is playback when using the Sonos controller’s connection does not get ‘counted’ by Apple’s servers.

When using the Apple Music ‘app’, and AirPlay 2 to get the result to the Sonos does get counted. 

Unfortunately, it most definitely does count.  My wife plays classical, jazz, and children’s music for her preschool exclusively through the Sonos app (linked to my Apple Music account) and my auto playlists (my station, monthly listens, etc) are littered with those artists and genres.  It really is more of an inconvenience more than anything else, but I am trying to find a solution to separate the two.  I will keep plugging away… Thanks for the reply!

Interesting…thanks for testing!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It really is more of an inconvenience more than anything else, but I am trying to find a solution to separate the two.  I will keep plugging away… Thanks for the reply!

Apple Music with a family subscription?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205595