Answered

Apple music needs to reauthorize

• 2 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Every so often sonos requests I reauthorise the Apple Music service. This now immediately triggers a sense of mounting horror as I know what happens next.  I try to reauthorise and it says my Apple ID password is incorrect.  I delete the service and try to reload it, it says the password is incorrect.  I delete the sonos app and reload it, then try to add Apple Music again and it says the password is incorrect. The only way I can get it to work is to CHANGE my Apple ID password and then try again.  I shouldn’t have to do this!  Please can someone tell me how to sort this out once and for all?  I don’t want to throw my sonos speakers in the sea (well, I do a bit actually) and buy Apple ones instead as they’re expensive but I don’t think I will get this problem if I do so.  

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 9 January 2021, 22:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikesRushton

Welcome to the Sonos Community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you to help you out.

When you add Apple Music service in the Sonos app it validates your Apple account and music subscription. If you're being prompted for an incorrect password, this means that the password did not match. Have you tried adding Apple music on another mobile device?

Yes, you can change your Apple ID password. Just a reminder that when you change your Apple ID password, you also need to update your login on all your iOS devices. You can try to log in with your Apple ID on the Apple website to check if you will get the same error. Or you may contact Apple support for further assistance. Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks for this.  I realise I can change my Apple password, but it seems odd that I need to do this and also I keep having to do it as sonos will then repeat the exercise a few days later. I don’t have any other Apple devices to add Apple Music to sonos with unfortunately.  I feel like we’re not addressing the actual problem? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikesRushton, thanks for your response and for updating us. I understand that you need to know why you have prompted an incorrect password when you tried to add your Apple Music account. Is there someone else who knows your Apple ID account? Allow me to share this information with you. Sonos doesn't save, change, or reset the password of any music services accounts added in the Sonos app. To secure your account, I recommend contacting Apple support to help you out. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks Rowena, but your response is a little confusing.  The problem is that sonos does not accept my correct Apple ID password - the one that works on my Apple devices.  If I then change the password it will accept it - until it asks me to reauthorise Apple Music again a few days or weeks later at which point it will again refuse to accept the correct password.  Sonos may well not “save, change, or reset the password of any music services accounts added in the Sonos app” but when it communicates with Apple to decide if the password is correct it is evidently not doing so properly as it judges the password to be wrong when it isn’t?  I can’t be expected to keep changing my Apple password surely?  There must be a software error presumably?  No-one else knows my Apple ID  password - and even if they did they wouldn’t know it for long because SONOS KEEPS MAKING ME CHANGE IT!  Please can you help? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MikesRushton, thanks for the update and immediate response. To further check why the Sonos app keeps asking you to change your Apple ID password, I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting and to remotely access your device to see what’s going on. Our phone support team is closed during weekends but you may reach them from Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm GMT. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.