Answered

Apple Music Library - Tracks Greyed Out

• 29 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I can see this has been asked a number of times in the past but recently a large number of tracks in my Apple Music Playlists appear to be greyed out on the Sonos App and will not play.  They work fine on Apple Music on the phone and my Mac. 

I have tried removing and adding the account again, I have also reauthorised but neither of these worked, I really want to avoid recreating all of the playlists.

I have tried using the online chat but that has been nothing but trouble, the final straw was when I finally got through to an agent they said they would review the case and get back and then after a couple of minutes they had not got back to me and the conversation was automatically ended as it had been idle too long

icon

Best answer by controlav 30 October 2022, 15:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Pick one of those tracks, go and Search for it on Apple Music in the Sonos app and add that to your playlist. Does that show as grey? If not, then Apple have expired those specific tracks due to rights issues. You need to refresh the to the current rights-enabled version.

The easiest way to get them all back as fresh, enabled tracks is to use soundiiz.com to export them from Apple Music, then re-import them into a fresh playlist.

I seem to find this happens most frequently when an album gets remastered or updated. Even though the original will still play in Apple Music, Sonos won’t recognize the old version, probably due to rights issues as mentioned above. Only solution I’ve found is the annoying delete and re-add process requiring me to rebuild affected playlists

Userlevel 1

It sounds as though Sonos need to work with Apple, there must be links in the Apple database to keep it working and those need exposing through, so they can be followed.  Whether it needs to be fixed by Apple in the API or Sonos in the calls through I am not sure but it definitely needs fixing somewhere.