Skip to main content
Answered

Apple Music does not play from the Sonos app

Hi,

I have Sonos Beam gen1, two Sonos SLs and the Sub Mini in my setup. Everything connected by WiFi.  I have Apple Music and YouTube Music connected in the app. Recently Apple Music has essentially stopped working and as far as I can see from the other topics there is some issue related to the lossless support that was added by Apple. The app displays that it is playing a track, the lossless icon is present but no sound is played, it can play for a few seconds and then sound disappears. Via airplay all Apple Music tracks play just fine. YouTube music works well. Having looked at all the topics related to this issue on the forum I see there were some recommendations to reconnect the system, etc. That did not help. Is the Sonos (or Apple ?) team working on the solution to the problem? Just want to understand if it is something related to any of my Sonos components not being supporting l lossless or is the issue on the other side? Thanks. 

50 replies

Have you perhaps tried a reboot of the local network router/Sonos players? Apple music is working okay for my slightly different setup here - a Beam 2 & Era 100 surrounds.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure. Tried rebooting the router and the whole system. Same issue

As you noticed There are/were issues with Apple Music. People experiencing drop outs, skips etc even when their players are wired. Firmware updates by Sonos seems to have fixed most issues. 

Is your system fully updated?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The app says there are no updates. Attaching system info

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@Oleksandr P. 
Again, if perhaps not tried already, maybe try reauthorising the Apple Music service in the Sonos App - I perhaps would not remove the service at this stage, as I’ve seen some say they have been unable to reinstall it. To reauthorise the service, goto the Profile icon top right and select "Content Services/Apple Music" and select the Primary Account to go through the reauthorisation steps. See if that might help. Also consider signing out/in the Sonos App too.

The app says there are no updates. Attaching system info

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

If Ken’s advice doesn’t fix it, I would wire one speaker to your router and play to it, see if you get any drop outs. Just to help rule out or in your network.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

So apparently it was a networking issue. I connected the Beam and it played Apple Music fine. Then repositioned the router so that the antennas are not overlapped by the monitor and now it seems to play ok. So apparently the lossless is more demanding to network conditions.

I am having the same issues as Oleksandr P. I went so far as purchasing new Wifi-6 routers (mesh) and it has still not resolved the issue. I have tried all of the advice provided in the posts - any other ideas?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update: it seems that the issue in fact is not in the connection and the issue still present. I just recalled that everything worked fine some   time ago even when the router was behind the monitor (which I was thinking was causing some interferencing issues). Moreover, I have Apple TV, PS5 and LG TV all connected to the same router at the same place where the Beam is located and none of those devices has connectivity issues. Also, again, via AirPlay I can play Apple Music just fine so this leads me to thinking that there is really something wrong with connecting to Apple Music from the Beam. I can provide any additional information needed to the Sonos team to help resolve this issue

I think there maybe a new Sonos App update coming soon. Staff have mentioned that - so maybe give that a try whenever it does land. If still no joy after that then I would maybe reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you! Will try that and post updates here. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

If I play some Apple Music playlist from the desktop Sonos app, I see similar behavior and a message “The song is not encoded correctly” appears. Maybe those are the same issues, not sure

If I play some Apple Music playlist from the desktop Sonos app, I see similar behavior and a message “The song is not encoded correctly” appears. Maybe those are the same issues, not sure

Let me perhaps try that here too, just as a quick test. What Apple playlist is it and what Sonos speaker(s) are you playing it to? Only I think that message can sometimes popup in the Sonos App where there are network connection issues between the source (Apple iCloud) and the speaker. I’m interested to see if it reproduces for me (and perhaps any others reading this too). 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It definitely happened when I wanted to listen to this LoFi chill playlist. I am playing to the Beam gen1 that has two One SLs and the Sub Mini connected into one system. Also adding WiFi connection info

I’m unable to play that with the new Sonos app, but the first three tracks have played fine when started with SonoPhone. The encoding error isn’t one I’ve encountered. 

FYI there’s a firmware update today. 

I have a similar setup - Beam with two One (gen 2’s) and Sub-Mini. If I can find that playlist, I’ll give it a try and report back. Your SNR reading is fine, but it’s still might be a connection issue, but let me go try and see if I see the same issue. I just have to eat my dinner here first.👍

It seems to be okay here - I assume I have the same playlist (I’m not sure if things vary as I’m in the UK) - but let’s see how it goes. I’ll report back again later.

Just to show its a ‘similar’ setup, see attached - it is a Beam gen1 too. It’s also still playing okay here. I’m also in trouble with SWMBO for not yet having my dinner, so must go. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve just installed the latest firmware update and so far it plays that playlist fine. Maybe this is some coincidence so I’m still testing

I’ve just gone back to it and the playlist is still playing okay here @Oleksandr P. So perhaps it was just a temporary issue - I guess it’s anyone’s guess. I can’t cater for the fact there might be differences in various countries/regions too.

Anyhow, glad you have it working now.👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ken_Griffiths thank you for all your suggestions regarding fixing this issue! Will be monitoring it and use this post in case it happens again

Just to chime in… @Oleksandr P. I’m able to stream the playlist as well. However, in truth I only researched this after I updated today 7/16/24. So I can’t say what the behavior may have been before the update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@AjTrek1 thanks for the feedback!

Morning!

I am extremely frustrated. My system was working FINE a couple of weeks ago and now I am unable to play anything from Apple Music without it cutting in and out. I am able to play Sonos Radio, Amazon Music without any issues. Any more ideas ?

I can also confirm it does not cut out when I AirPlay from my iPhone.

I do not see any updates for the app/firmware from yesterday - any idea how I force that ?

Thanks!

Morning!

I am extremely frustrated. My system was working FINE a couple of weeks ago and now I am unable to play anything from Apple Music without it cutting in and out. I am able to play Sonos Radio, Amazon Music without any issues. Any more ideas ?

I can also confirm it does not cut out when I AirPlay from my iPhone.

I do not see any updates for the app/firmware from yesterday - any idea how I force that ?

Thanks!

I think there is an App update due to launch soon, so maybe see if that resolves the matter. If not, then maybe reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.