Apple Music - "An error occurred while adding tracks to the queue (1002)"

• 29 November 2023
  • 15 replies

The thread below is closed, but it’s the exact same issue I’m having.  A large Apple Music playlist will not add to the queue.  I submitted diagnostics: 1166537982.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

1002 is a timeout error. Sonos allows 20 seconds to load the queue.

Helpful context thanks.  Does that mean that Sonos is no longer capable of loading such a large playlist?  Any fixes/workarounds?

Subdividing the playlist is really the only option. After loading the queue in several chunks you can then save it as a Sonos Playlist if you wish (memory space permitting).

Some services are faster than others, and performance can vary during the day. Some set a hard limit on the size of playlist they’ll load anyway.

This has worked properly for years.  That’s not really an acceptable workaround because the songs on the playlist change frequently.  Sonos needs to fix this.

The 20 second Sonos timeout has existed for years as well, at least a decade.

Will smaller Apple Music playlists load into the queue okay?

This has worked properly for years.  That’s not really an acceptable workaround because the songs on the playlist change frequently.  Sonos needs to fix this.

FWIW Amazon Music limit their playlists to around 500 tracks - so that’s perhaps a good ‘average’ guide to use for each of your services, including Apple Music. That limit works okay for me. Note too that if you do divide your playlists into 500 tracks, that you can go onto add numerous playlists to the Sonos Room queue and then play them in sequential order, or shuffled. 

Thanks but I’ve had some version of these playlists since the original iTunes.  I’m not really interested in changing them now and dealing with all of these workarounds simply because Sonos decided to stop playing nicely with Apple Music.

So Sonos deliberately decided to slug the performance on Apple Music? Somehow I doubt it. I’d be more inclined to blame Apple or the internet service between their servers and your system...

I found a solution for myself hope it works for you. Instead of going into Sonos app, go into the streaming service (Apple Music) for me and play the song/ song library you want then connect to the sonos device via Airplay. I could not load my large song library and use the shuffle feature on the sonos app so going through the apple music app and using air play was the only way this worked. Customer service told me that the engineering department is looking into this problem and it is quite common.

I found a solution for myself hope it works for you. Instead of going into Sonos app, go into the streaming service (Apple Music) for me and play the song/ song library you want then connect to the sonos device via Airplay. I could not load my large song library and use the shuffle feature on the sonos app so going through the apple music app and using air play was the only way this worked. Customer service told me that the engineering department is looking into this problem and it is quite common.

Just curious, but how many tracks are in your playlists that you are having problems with here in the Sonos App?

I am having a similar problem, Sonos only plays Apple Music sporadically.  It will play a few songs and then “loses connection to Apple Music”.  Or it will give errors 1001, 1000.  

very frustrating 

I am

also having this issue and it is driving me mad, it worked fine on the small roam wish I never changed it 

@Wbzipf & @Reenie,

Perhaps ensure the speakers are using the more-penetrating 2.4Ghz WiFi band and select a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping wireless channel 1, 6 or 11. Set the channel-width to 20MHz only. If using SonosNet for some speakers, then ensure its channel is at least 5+ channels away from the chosen router channel above.

This Sonos Support document perhaps might also prove helpful…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

I am having the same issue.  For years I have been getting the message ‘An error occurred while adding tracks to the queue (1002).   However, if I waited a few minutes the playlist would load (this playlist has around 1300 tracks).  Just recently (last 2 weeks) this no longer works.  All I get is a message saying the playlist cannot load.   I can add playlists that are much smaller and it works fine, but this larger playlist is a no go and it is very frustrating since we have been building this one for  a while. I would like to get this working again.  

I am having the same issue.  For years I have been getting the message ‘An error occurred while adding tracks to the queue (1002).   However, if I waited a few minutes the playlist would load (this playlist has around 1300 tracks).  Just recently (last 2 weeks) this no longer works.  All I get is a message saying the playlist cannot load.   I can add playlists that are much smaller and it works fine, but this larger playlist is a no go and it is very frustrating since we have been building this one for  a while. I would like to get this working again.  

Maybe see this support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-1001-and-1002-when-using-the-music-library

If you still cannot resolve the issue after troubleshooting the matter, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.