Skip to main content
Answered

app updates have duplicated music library albums and lost some tracks

I use sonos for playing old cds from music library.It now seems that it has duplicated albums and juggled the order of tracks around.Very frustrating as playing cds was the main reason to buy sonos.I can't face dealing with support again as it wastes loads of time. Any ideas how to rectify the duplicate album issue? ( they're OK on the laptop , so it's not the source material). 

I have updated the app ( samsung A54) and the laptop plus tried to update the music library to no effect. This is subsequent to the phone app crashing a couple of days ago with message it's due to a bug.  Retry when developer resolves bug.

Also some songs have gone missing from sonos but are in the source directories 

Has anyone any suggestions as to how resolve this?

31 replies

I’m having a similar issue - at least as it comes to compilations / soundtracks /etc. I’ve carefully tagged albums with tracks by different artists with a single Album Artist. It seems as though the indexing is ignoring the Album Artist tag and jumping to the Artist tag for each track and sorting it as though it’s its own album (or something like that).

Boggles the mind how they’ve made a mess of this core functionality - one I’ve been using on Sonos systems for 15 years or so. I’ve invested hundreds of hours of work in curating, tagging, and managing the data on my local music library, and now it’s a complete and utter mess (granted I’ve been using it all less since it’s such a pain to scroll to a band with a name that starts at the end of the alphabet).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@BrianWarrington @callmefrank .
FYI: Sonos latest firmware version 16.3 has a known issue with compilation albums where they appear as duplicate albums when browsing your Music Library by album.
See thread below and confirmation of it being a known problem by @Corry P from Sonos.
Unfortunately no given ETA for a fix. 😒

Ross.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@BrianWarrington @callmefrank .
FYI: Sonos latest firmware version 16.3 has a known issue with compilation albums where they appear as duplicate albums when browsing your Music Library by album.
See thread below and confirmation of it being a known problem by @Corry P from Sonos.
Unfortunately no given ETA for a fix. 😒

Ross.

Uunfortunately it's not just compilation albums

Thank you for posting this (I am replying in hopes that the more replies there are, the more likely sonos will address it…?) :-)

Userlevel 2

Some albums triplicated

Userlevel 2
Badge

Some albums triplicated

Apologies. I used the word duplicates too loosely. There are multiple copies of some ( not all) albums and the same random songs are missing from each copy

Glad to see I’m not alone.  I was so happy to finally get my local library back onto Sonos.  Some artists and albums are well organized, other albums show up as many as four times.  And random tracks are out of order, despite the correct numbering on the CD and in iTunes.  Like a lot of you, I value my library and have curated the hell out of it for consistency and clarity.  Seeing the new Sonos app totally wreck it is both incredibly frustrating and, after all the aggravation the last couple months, totally unsurprising.  

No help I know, but I’ve got upwards of 18 copies of some albums. I rip and manage my CD library using Media Player, so I’m hoping that deleting and rebuilding the Sonos index will fix it for now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

No help I know, but I’ve got upwards of 18 copies of some albums. I rip and manage my CD library using Media Player, so I’m hoping that deleting and rebuilding the Sonos index will fix it for now.

Not sure I'd do that as I was told to delete and start again but it wouldn't reconnect. I spent hours on the phone and they escalated it sevetal times to no effect and eventually promised an engineer callback which never happened.

I subsequently had another go and miraculously it connected. A few weeks later  I've suffered the duplication/ missing song issue

Not sure I'd do that as I was told to delete and start again but it wouldn't reconnect. I spent hours on the phone and they escalated it sevetal times to no effect and eventually promised an engineer callback which never happened.

I subsequently had another go and miraculously it connected. A few weeks later  I've suffered the duplication/ missing song issue

I didn’t have a problem reconnecting, but the newly built library has as many duplicates as the old one! I see the Sonos director is apologising for the failed update - I guess we’ll have to wait for a proper fix. As a side-gripe - I hate it when they update the Android interface - it was much better and easier to use in its previous version.

Userlevel 2

Same issue for me, any album which has the track artist different to the album artist gets duplicated as many times as there are different track artists associated with the album.  Sonos are really just a joke.  I wish I were rich so I could sue them, for ALL the broken functionality they've ben responsible for.

Confirming that I have this same issue.

The music library is working for me (although album art only shows in the Windows desktop app, and not in the new Android app), however any compilation / various artists albums are shown multiple times when scrolling through the album list.

I’ve done “Update Music Library now” and the issue persists.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue for me, any album which has the track artist different to the album artist gets duplicated as many times as there are different track artists associated with the album.  Sonos are really just a joke.  I wish I were rich so I could sue them, for ALL the broken functionality they've ben responsible for.

I’ve realised that isn’t just compilations but any album having a track listed with a feature or guest artist. That’s why some of the non compilations are duplicated (I think!). It doesn’t answer why random tracks are missing though.

It is a real nuisance

Badge

Unlike yesterday today my library has updated with the 'artist' correctly listed if the music has all the metadate attached which I know some don't due to how I copied my viynl on to minidisc years ago . The difference may be how I set out the advanced part of Music Library Settings in the sonos app for windows 11.  For me the ideal way of access all of my entire music is via folder.  

Below may also answer some questions

"In most cases, a music file that is missing a metadata tag will not appear in the Sonos app where it’s supposed to. For example, if a file is missing its “Artist” tag, it won’t appear when you browse or search for that particular artist in the Sonos app.

You’ll need a media library management tool like iTunes to view and edit the metadata on your music files. After making any changes to metadata, make sure you update the music library index"

Userlevel 2

Every track (around 38,000 songs) I have from my own album collection is fully annotated with all metadata.  In iTunes, everything is correctly listed and categorised.  I use  iTunes as the master application for verifying every song/track is correct, before I copy the content to my NAS and update the Sonos Music Library through the Sonos PC app.  It’s not a metadata issue for me, it’s Sonos - plain and simple!

Steve

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi, I’m having the same problem here. What is worrying is that some tracks have disappeared. When I look at them on the server they show 0Kb size.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I’m not seeing files themselves go missing, but the index is now a mess… 16.3/16.3.1  firmware seems to be the culprit. 

Feels like the developers are in panic mode and just throwing out the latest builds untested. 

Group volume is now weird, not in terms of lag but in the way it now forces you into the individual list when you just want to change the whole group… I’m sure it used to change each speaker up/down together relative to where they were and if you wanted to change one speaker you just pressed/clicked the group volume to get that screen… now it tries to go there all the time :( 

Wish I’d stuck at 16.2 … 

Also, is it supposed to find Apple Music playlists within the Apple Music library file? The only way I could get Sonos to see them is to export to an M3U file on the same share… not exactly ‘dynamic’ … 

Silly me for thinking the addition of clear queue was enough to go all in on the upgrade … 

*sigh* 

Hi, I’m having the same problem here. What is worrying is that some tracks have disappeared. When I look at them on the server they show 0Kb size.

Sonos does not write to the music library.

You may have an unexpected duplicate folder

Userlevel 1

It does seem to relate to compilation albums for me. One shows up 60 times which makes scrolling through a challenge! Hope there is a fix soon…

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same issue!   So tried of all the issues this year!   I don’t care about all the new products with Sonos is the going to keep up the base app.

I have the same problem v16.3.1. It used to work as expected before this recent update. The controller software has now been made even worse by this latest bug.

I have the same problem, multiple copies of the same album, up to 10 or 12 copies, and when you click on them to see the contents they are all in the same jumbled order, maybe track 8, track 6, track 1 etc. However, the whole album is there. It appears that the problem is with compilations predominantly but not all the compilations.

It also means that not all of the albums show under a particular artist. So I have about 30 or so cafe del mar albums and only about 10 of them show on the iOS app. However, if you go to the Mac os version then they all show but still got the multiple copies.

When I have checked my NAS drive, they all appear normally, no multiple copies and if I stream on my Uniti Atom, they appear in the Naim app exactly how they appear on the NAS drive.

Pre 16.3, even with all the app problems, this did not happen. it is only since the upgrade that I have experienced this. Hope there is a fix soon as this is very frustrating.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

It’s not like you can put the mis-indexed songs into something like, I don’t know… a queue… where perhaps you could put them in the order you want… now there’s a radical idea… 😜

Userlevel 2

Every track (around 38,000 songs) I have from my own album collection is fully annotated with all metadata.  In iTunes, everything is correctly listed and categorised.  I use  iTunes as the master application for verifying every song/track is correct, before I copy the content to my NAS and update the Sonos Music Library through the Sonos PC app.  It’s not a metadata issue for me, it’s Sonos - plain and simple!

Steve

Yes, you are absolutely right. The issue is entirely driven by the SONOS app.   My library too is exported from itunes to my synology nas and also copied onto other devices via Isyncr. I link to SONOS via the y Synology.  SONOS destroyed my ability to play from my local library, partly repaired it (without album artwork) and have now screwed it up again.. I despair. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I used to love my Sonos speakers and constantly on the lookout for something new to add to my ever increasing collection of speakers, but all the issues this year have made me totally lose interest because I realize how quickly they can destroy the thousands of dollars I invested in the blink of an eye.