Skip to main content
Question

App sees iTunes music library but cannot play it

• 23 July 2024
  • 4 replies

My music library is stored on an internal desktop drive.  My system is Windows 10.  For the app I use iOS.

Since the latest app update, Sonos appears to see my library but cannot play anything from it.  The titles of my imported playlists show up but every attempt to select from one of these titles produces either “Something went wrong, try again” in the mobile app or “Unable to browse music” in the desktop app.  The web app fails too.

I don’t know where to start with this.  The system sees all four of my speakers and can stream through them, just not access the stored files, which is the main reason I set up my Sonos network.  My wifi is sophisticated, capable, constantly updated and professionally maintained.  Some of the technical solutions I have researched online are either very speculative or technically above my pay-grade.  

I suspect this issue can be traced to exactly how I direct Sonos to my library on my 😨 drive but I have experimented with that to no avail (and it does see the library, it just can’t play from it).  I believe my up-to-date Windows 10 system is using SMBv2.  I am contemplating calling Sonos tech support but my fear is that I will go through the motions with the initial rep and two hours later I will have neither a solution nor access to a higher-ranking tech support person.  I have re-downloaded the app and disconnected/reconnected all my speakers to no avail.  If I cannot troubleshoot via this thread, I will have to hire a local tech, which, like so many of you, I will resent because it will cost me a fortune to fix something that should be Sonos’ responsibility.

I despair.  Can anyone advise?  Many thanks.

4 replies

Sorry - no solutions here but I did want to bump your post and add my situation to yours.  I’m seeing the same exact thing you described.  I’ve even moved around my music library from the NAS it’s always been on (and Sonos worked fine with for years) onto a Windows PC - and it didn’t solve the issue.  Both ways I can add the library successfully, the app sees it fine...until I try to play anything and I get the “Something went wrong, try again” or “Unable to browse music” errors. And for what it’s worth I’ve tried the various guides on SMB settings, etc. to no avail.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sorry - no solutions here but I did want to bump your post and add my situation to yours.  I’m seeing the same exact thing you described.  I’ve even moved around my music library from the NAS it’s always been on (and Sonos worked fine with for years) onto a Windows PC - and it didn’t solve the issue.  Both ways I can add the library successfully, the app sees it fine...until I try to play anything and I get the “Something went wrong, try again” or “Unable to browse music” errors. And for what it’s worth I’ve tried the various guides on SMB settings, etc. to no avail.

Thanks!  I have been on hold to Sonos tech support for 45 minutes now.  I will let you know if any solution emerges.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok, Sharks and others, here’s what I learned from a helpful, patient Level 2 Sonos tech today:

My problem of not being able to play from my music library is recognised.  After the tech rebooted my Sonos system from her end, we both discovered that if any attempt is made to play from an imported playlist, the system will crash and will stay like that until it is rebooted again.  If no attempt is made to play from an imported playlist after rebooting the system, it is possible to play music from other categories within the library, such as albums, songs, artists, etc., but only from the desktop app.  The tech said this problem has emerged within the last week and there’s no timeline for fixing...but she assured me that they are trying.

This whole thing is such a disgrace, the worst consumer software melt-down I have experienced in thirty years and so it goes on.  If I were a cynic, I’d say it’s Sonos’s way of forcing us all into streaming only but the truth is probably more mundane: that it’s simply a perfect storm of incompetence, corporate stupidity and greed.

I hope this is useful to some of you.

Appreciate the update and agreed...between maliciousness and incompetence, it’s usually the latter.  I guess we’ll both have to wait for a bit and see if they can figure out a fix.  Frustrating for sure...