Skip to main content

app not seeing Sonos when its actually playing

Before the last update a few weeks ago, my Sonos App was working fine. Now its not only a glitchy non intuitive design, but after taking ages to get it to play the BBCSounds app again yesterday, it now tells me I have no system- despite the fact that the system is on and playing Radio 4 (through BBC Sounds). 
So I have no control of the speaker ( Sonos One) and I guess will uninstall and reinstall the Sonos app again. 
But this is getting monotonous- what is the problem since the update? I have just the one speaker so as simple as it can be! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Does Sonos still monitor this forum? They used to years ago. The new app is a nightmare for a ton of people on the FB group. I came here looking for an answer for the same problem you’re having. I thought it was just me, not attributing it to the update, so glad you started this thread. Hoping an answer is forthcoming. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does Sonos still monitor this forum? They used to years ago. The new app is a nightmare for a ton of people on the FB group. I came here looking for an answer for the same problem you’re having. I thought it was just me, not attributing it to the update, so glad you started this thread. Hoping an answer is forthcoming. 

Yes, they still monitor it but are a tad busy at the moment. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Before the last update a few weeks ago, my Sonos App was working fine. Now its not only a glitchy non intuitive design, but after taking ages to get it to play the BBCSounds app again yesterday, it now tells me I have no system- despite the fact that the system is on and playing Radio 4 (through BBC Sounds). 
So I have no control of the speaker ( Sonos One) and I guess will uninstall and reinstall the Sonos app again. 
But this is getting monotonous- what is the problem since the update? I have just the one speaker so as simple as it can be! 

Just rule out any network issue first, can you please follow the steps in my article:

The network is fine. It’s a very simple setup that worked for years. This update somehow broke connectivity between the app and my Port. I’m able to start the device OK from my iPhone, but later when I want to change volume, songs, or channels, or turn it off it’s like nothing is playing anymore, though it clearly is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, there’s a a fair few people with a similar experience.  However, the simple steps in that article would rule out any network issue caused by the Sonos units rebooting after the update.  It’s about the only advice that I can give sorry.

Yes, I totally agree that the problem started with the last update. My app tried to welcome me as a new user today & invited me to set up my system! while it was playing in the background 

No apology necessary. I’ve been a user since 2008 and am a developer so understand all of this more than a lot. This version of the app is really different so i wanted to make sure i wasn’t missing something. Putting volume and mute controls on the Port would solve most of this until the app is fixed, but they dropped that stuff years ago too. Thanks for taking the time. 

And you’re kinda right… Red wine ALWAYS helps. :D

UKMedia I read your article but it’s not relevant to my situation. I don’t have anything except my iphone connecting to the Sonos speaker. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

UKMedia I read your article but it’s not relevant to my situation. I don’t have anything except my iphone connecting to the Sonos speaker. 

Hi @LibbyLou 

This article relates to any device that connects to you router not Sonos, either via wi-fi or ethernet cable.  

Thanks UKMedia, I will try this. It reminds me of the exact same scenario when we had everything on SCSi chains 30 years ago…