Answered

Amazon Music spotty, drop outs completely, randomly stops playing on some speakers

• 2 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I’ve been using Apple Music and Pandora for years without issue on my setup.  I’ve recently moved to an Amazon Music Family plan so my kids can have music on their room echos.

My setup… 5 S2 Ones and 1 Era 100.  Network is 1-Gig fiber routed through Eero Pro 6E Mesh.  I have 500meg down easily on wireless throughout the house.  All connected via WiFi, no Ethernet to any device.

Since switching to Amazon music, when using the Alexa voice control or the Sonos app, music will stream inconsistently across all speakers in the group.  It takes about 45 seconds for every speaker to be playing the song and then after a few minutes it will randomly stop playing on some speakers but not all, or just stop playing completely.  If I switch to Apple Music or Pandora, it plays without issue and no drops. 

Any help here?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 April 2023, 12:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daving313 

Thanks for your post!

My first recommendation would be to ensure that the speaker in charge of the group (selected and listed first) is a unit that has a good connection to the main node of your Eero mesh network, ie. is the speaker closest to it. If you need assistance in determining which speaker this should be, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Permanently wiring a single speaker (not the Era 100) to the main Eero node with an ethernet cable may also improve matters, especially if this unit is put in charge of the group (by selecting it first before grouping is done).

For your information, this is most likely happening due to Amazon Music playing a higher bitrate that the other services.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have the same issue with Amazon Music.  Things play great on other services including Pandora and Sirius XM, but streaming from Amazon Music is useless with Sonos.  Speakers cut in and out.  My network is good and I have a Boost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Harrigill 

Your Sonos system demands more from your local WiFi than it does from your actual internet connection - especially when grouping. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

A classic mistake is to keep the Boost next to the router - please keep them at least 1m (3 feet) apart, otherwise they with interfere with each other.

I hope this helps.