Answered

Am I overthinking this? Logins and experiences for unique users...

• 27 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello.

I’ve searched and read the forum and it could well be the case that I have tied myself in knots overthinking this problem, or it is as difficult as it seems :-)  Either way any help and assistance would be welcome.

I have an S1 system with 5 x One’s, an Amp and a Connect with 4 unique users (1 Generic Sonos and 3 humans), several Google hubs and Amazon Echo devices.  Spotify account is a 5 user family account.

• My first issue is how do I assign unique users to unique Sonos units using their own login’s to Sonos with Spotify running on their account only with the communal units running a Sonos dedicated Spotify account.
  • My second issue is how Sonos and Spotify playback can be handled by either Google or Amazon devices connected to a particular users Google / Amazon login and unique Sonos unit.

Here is what I would like to achieve:

• Sonos unit 1 - AMP - in communal area using generic Sonos account and Sonos specific Spotify account set as default player for Google device
  • Sonos unit 2 - Connect - in communal area using generic Sonos account and Sonos specific Spotify account (no voice control device)
  • Sonos unit 3 - One - dedicated to single user ‘A’ with their Sonos and Spotify account and default device for their Amazon Echo show
  • Sonos unit 4 - One - dedicated to single user ‘A’ with their Sonos and Spotify account and default device for their Google hub
  • Sonos unit 5 - One - dedicated to single user ‘A’ with their Sonos and Spotify account and default device for Amazon Echo
  • Sonos unit 6 - One - dedicated to single user ‘B’ with their Sonos and Spotify account and default device for their Google hub
  • Sonos unit 7 - One - dedicated to single user ‘C’ with their Sonos and Spotify account (No voice control device)

A huge thank you in advance for any comments and assistance!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 August 2023, 14:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Bluesden 

Thanks for your post!

Sonos isn’t really designed with this purpose in mind, but I believe there is a way to mostly achieve what you want to do.

The thing to do would be to use controller A to set up a system for user A, add services for user A, and once done, turn it all off. Then, use controller B to set up system B, add services for user B, and then turn that off too so you can start with system, controller and services for user C. Once all have been setup, turn them all on. Each controller will only connect to the system they “know”.

The trouble comes when you want communal areas - this would not be an option. Sonos speakers are either part of a system, or they are part of another system - there’s no way to have players show in more than one system, and there is no way to have multiple user accounts/settings on a single system.

With Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, they only work with one system per account, so you would need separate Sonos accounts for each voice assistant user.

An alternate solution would be to just set up all the speakers on one system. Then, assign a different voice assistant to each user/music account. Alexa could link to one user’s account, Google Assistant to another, and Sonos Voice Control to a third. Please note, however, that Google Assistant will not run on the same speaker as another voice assistant, but Alexa and SVC are happy to run on the same speaker at the same time. For non-voice-activated playback, All 4 Spotify accounts can be added to Sonos, and the correct one chosen by each user. If children are involved, just be sure to demonstrate that if they misuse the system (start playing music in wrong rooms at loud volumes) they will lose their Sonos privileges (you could physically remove their speaker, or only give them guest WiFi access).

I hope this helps.