"All your favourites in one place" bug - update

• 16 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 19 replies

Original topic has been closed ^

So this is what I’ve found...
After a few months the issue is still happening. Not as often, but still once in a while.

Re. the VPN. Weirdly, although Sonos is already bypassed, the issue actually seems worse when it’s completely disabled  (‘VPN’ is Blokada by the way - I only just use it for a bit of light ad-blocking).
So I don't think that's the problem.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes when I open the app and go to favourites, the "All your favourites in one place" screen will show up for a split second, and then the favourites will be displayed as normal.
This may be because favourites are system-wide and not device specific. So it is as if Sonos hasn't had chance to load them in yet from wherever they are stored. And every now and again it takes a few minutes for the system to get it’s act together. (But generally they load instantly).

Slightly different issue, although it may be related. I have terrible trouble with the phone disconnecting from the Sonos network. I have to open the app almost every time I go back to my phone.

For example, I always use the widget on my homescreen to adjust the volume.  I can use the widget, put my phone down next to the speaker and then come back in 10 minutes and the phone will have disconnected from Sonos. (both the icon from the notification goes, and widget says ”not connected to sonos. tap for more info”).

I got so infuriated with this that I have the Sonos app locked open on my phone, but even so, it will almost always have disconnected by the time I unlock my phone again.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 January 2023, 12:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudie 

Thanks for your post!

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes when I open the app and go to favourites, the "All your favourites in one place" screen will show up for a split second, and then the favourites will be displayed as normal.
This may be because favourites are system-wide and not device specific. So it is as if Sonos hasn't had chance to load them in yet from wherever they are stored. And every now and again it takes a few minutes for the system to get it’s act together. (But generally they load instantly).

Yes! This is exactly what happens - the app remembers nothing other than the systems it has “met”, and your account details. Everything else, including the My Sonos entries, will be loaded off the Associated Player (the first Sonos device to respond when an app opens and starts talking to the system). This can vary each time you open the app.

Clearly, there is a network issue at play here, preventing the app and system from communicating properly. With no details about your network, all I can suggest is rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. This has a good chance of helping, but if your network topology consists of anything more complicated than only having a router, then more details would be needed - in which case I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Edit: VPNs are unsupported by Sonos for this very reason - they can produce problems. Try uninstalling the VPN temporarily to see if it improves matters.

Badge +3

Re. network:  I do use a Wi-Fi mesh so that might be causing some issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudie 

If you have a router and a mesh WiFi system, that could indeed create connection issues.

I recommend a read of the Mesh Networks section of my article:

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi | Sonos Community

Badge +3

Thanks Corry

The router is set up as modem only, so as far as the network goes, there is only one. 

I don't think the speakers have any connectivity issues, it's more my phone constantly losing connection that drives me insane! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudie 

I just took a look at the diagnostics you submitted yesterday - it seems your Sonos speakers are occasionally disconnecting from your WiFi.

I recommend you connect any one of your Sonos speakers to the main mesh node with an ethernet cable (though try to keep them 1m apart). Wait 1 minute, then test things out - you should then find the whole system to be more reliable.

I hope this helps.

Badge +3

Thanks Corry, really appreciate the help.

Unfortunately there are no free Ethernet ports on the main mesh node. And it is located where I wouldn't want a speaker.

I do however have an old school Sonos Bridge, which I used to use years ago, but I believe they were made redundant when sonos went full wireless.  Let's say I could free up a port on the main mesh node, would I be able to use that? Do they work with the S2 controller?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rudie 

No - the Bridge works on S1 only, and even then we don’t really recommend it anymore.

You could do it with an ethernet switch (I recommend an IGMP-capable one, and even then they’re still pretty cheap) to give you more ports, and a Boost. The Boost is the current equivalent to the Bridge, and your Bridge will earn you a 30% discount on a new Boost - just contact our sales team to arrange the discount. Remember that with a switch you’ll need one more ethernet cable than without one.

I do recommend that you test things with a wired speaker first, to see if a Boost will actually help, as a wired speaker will perform the same task as a Boost/Bridge. For what it’s worth, I think this will help with the issue you reported more than anything else is likely to, but if a Boost does not end up helping, you can always get a refund. In total, and with the discount, this shouldn’t cost you more than about £110.

One point about mesh WiFi systems - some people mistakenly place the secondary nodes in a location where the WiFi signal is not good without them. This is not ideal, however, because they themselves need good WiFi reception. Devices can connect to them and report a good signal but if the node struggles, that entire section of the network can have problems. They should instead generally be placed about half-way between the router and the (closest) bad reception area. More nodes can daisy-chain for a greater reach.

I hope this helps.