• 28 February 2023
  • 4 replies

My system consists of:

Amp: M Bed and Bath

Amp: Dining Room

Port: Ent Room

Port: Office

Move

All are running on S2, which was updated from S1 in January when I replaced the last of my S1-only compatible units.  I run a Synology NAS (installed years ago) with all of my content loaded in there; it has power saving activated so it may take a minute or so to start if it is asleep.  I have had no non-Sonos related problems with the NAS.  I have a MacBook Pro running macOS 11.7.1, but it is not part of the music file sourcing for my Sonos system. 

The problem I have is that when the “M Bed and Bath” alarm goes off, it will run for about 1.5 minutes then restart with the same song from the NAS (it is not part of a playlist).  The second time, it will play to the end - the song is about 10 minutes long.  If I play the same song directly from any Sonos produce it plays with no issue, so I don't think the file is corrupted.  I can play any music from the NAS on any Sonos product and from a non-Sonos audiophile caliber streamer (Aurender) with no problem, so I don’t feel it is the NAS.  This problem did not occur when I ran my system (including this AMP product) on the S1 app.  I have tried everything I know to either resolve the issue or get more debugging information.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Belly M 28 February 2023, 19:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’d be guessing some sort of transient wifi interference , and agree that finding good data on “seeing” that would be challenging. What I’d probably be doing is, after a repeat of this issue, submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Neither you or I have access to the data in this diagnostic, so we can’t see whatever data is stored there, only Sonos employees can. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

Badge +20

As your NAS is asleep in the first instance the Sonos alarm cannot find the track before it times out. When playing direct (sans alarm) Sonos is more forgiving.

These two suggestion should help… possibly 

Set a new alarm two minutes before you want the alarm to play with the same track, running for one minute but at zero volume. This will wake the NAS up and ready to play the track a minute later.

Or turn off power saving on your NAS.

Its possible the drive in your NAS is getting old and taking longer to spin up, personally I would leave it on 24/7 as each spin up wears the drive out quicker than leaving it on permanently but consider the drives to be “on their way out” at anytime and prepare for it.

Hi Belly, thanks for the suggestions.  The NAS drives are SSD, so I am not worried about power cycling, but that is a good observation about rotating disks.  The NAS powers up and runs before cutting out, so that’s not it, either.  Unfortunate, since your suggestion about leaving it powered up would probably solve it the problem.

Hi Airgetlam, I think you may be right and I will do the diagnostic the next time it happens.  Thanks. 

Badge +20

Why not test my alarm suggestion, would only take a minute of your time to set up two new alarms this evening when you know the NAS is asleep.