Skip to main content
Answered

AirPlay Code on screen suggestion

• 21 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi i have Sonos 100, Sonos 300 and Sonos amp all connected to the same network (WiFi) but i cannot stream music thru AirPlay as it asks a the “AirPlay Code” - Enter the on-screen code for “name of the speaker”.

My question is what on-screen? I’m streaming from my phone. I’ve reviewed other posts and says to uncheck the require password from AirPlay settings, but from which settings?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Has your employer installed an MDM on your phone? That will force PINs for Airplay, which is not compatible with Sonos (as they don’t have screens to display the PIN, as noted).

Hi Controlav! Thanks for the reply! Yes the MDM is installed and i cannot access/edit the restrictions. Is there a way to get the code? Or just I’m screwed to use it with that device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Controlav! Thanks for the reply! Yes the MDM is installed and i cannot access/edit the restrictions. Is there a way to get the code? Or just I’m screwed to use it with that device?

Sadly you are screwed using that device.

Who has this code? Sonos or who installed the MDM?
Thanks
Andrea

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Who has this code? Sonos or who installed the MDM?

Sonos do not accept connections that include a PIN, there’s no way around that. Disable MDM or use a different device.

Thank you for your prompt reply but as the system asks for the code it means to me that a code should exist and the question was who has this code. What I understand from your reply is that even if I insert the right code the Sonos app will not work. Is it correct?

thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

There is an Apple policy in MDM policies that allows your company to enforce a policy which 

Require passcode on first AirPlay pairing

Nobody has the passcode, it just forces your device to display a request for one when you try and use AirPlay for the first time with anything.

Speakers, generally don’t support a passcode as they have no way to show it, whereas TVs or video devices can create a code as needed and display it on screen for you to enter.

From a company perspective it is to ensure you are connecting to a device you are physically with and can see a generated code to enter.

You would need to ask your company security team to relax the enforcement so it isn’t required, or use a device not managed by the company.