Airplay

• 23 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I can't see my Sonos devices when I open Airplay. I only see my smart TV's and Apple devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What Sonos devices are you expecting to see? The only device in your profile that you might see would be a Beam. The other three devices you list are not valid targets (were produced long before AirPlay 2 was invented, don’t have the electronics necessary).

You’re using AirPlay 2, not AirPlay, correct?

@tomnsuze,

Also see this earlier thread…

Airgetlam,

Yes, I am assuming I am using Airplay 2 since I have the latest iPhone. I have four play 1’s and an older play 3 My play 5 died and unfortunately Sonos does not repair. :(    I thought all the play 1’s were compatible and I thought if you had at least one device compatible you would see all of them in he Airplay selection? Now that you mention it, I do see the Beam. I didn’t realize I renamed it and it didn’t show up as “Beam”.  

Airgetlam,

Yes, I am assuming I am using Airplay 2 since I have the latest iPhone. I have four play 1’s and an older play 3 My play 5 died and unfortunately Sonos does not repair. :(    I thought all the play 1’s were compatible and I thought if you had at least one device compatible you would see all of them in he Airplay selection? Now that you mention it, I do see the Beam. I didn’t realize I renamed it and it didn’t show up as “Beam”.  

If you have ‘Group Non-Airplay Products’ enabled in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Airplay’, you can group any or all your Play:1’s to your Beam in the Sonos App and Airplay the audio to devices in that group. 

So….some perhaps confusion here.

The Beam can be a target of AirPlay 2, certainly. None of the PLAY:X speakers can be a target, but they can be “grouped” with the Beam, something I’ve done many times with my PLAY:1s to get the AirPlay 2 signal playing on them. Was really the reason I purchased a Sonos One, originally, to be a target for AirPlay 2, so I could then group any other of my older speakers with that One, and get the AirPlay 2 signal throughout my system. 

Essentially, once the AirPlay 2 signal is “in” the Sonos ecosystem, you can then “group” any Sonos speaker/room, using the Sonos controller, and have that AirPlay 2 signal coming from it. What you can’t do is “mute” that original AirPlay 2 target, otherwise you’re muting the incoming data stream, and all grouped speakers go silent. 

I think you already got that, but I needed to put it down for any others that might come across this thread. :)

Thank you for clarifying. And yes, I did figure out he group thing. FYI, my scenario is- I have all my music on a spare iPhone and want to send it through Sonos speakers. When I activate Airplay, I only see the Beam. I originally thought I could choose all my Sonos speakers through in the Apple Music app without opening the Sonos app. It is just one more step to open the Sonos app and group, so no biggie. I appreciate all you help.