Skip to main content

There used to be a way on the old app where you could adjust group volume but dragging overall volume to zero, lifting finger, and then increasing the volume. All speakers would then have synced to the same volume. 

The new app seems to have lost this feature - is there another way of doing it I haven’t found?

Hi.  I am away from my system at the moment so can’t experiment.  I would just point out that playing all speakers on the same value number does not achieve playing at the same volume.  At least, not if the speakers are different models.

So it would come as no surprise if this is another feature lost in the new app, but I think it is one of the more minor losses.  Still frustrating for you, though, if you found this helpful.

Thanks, @John B - hadn’t quite appreciated the the value number will still vary in terms of what it means for different models (my system made up of two Ones, an Era 100 and a Beam), so that’s good to know. 

I posted this question then saw there’d been quite a few bigger issues with the new app I hadn’t yet spotted...

I find the loss of this feature very frustrating. There are times as I move through the house I might adjust the volume up on a specific speaker and later on I want to sync them all to the same level. Now I have to go through each individual speaker to get them all to the same volume. I just don't understand why they would remove that feature. I could see if it was replaced with something but it just seems it's one less feature not a new, re-styled feature.

Adjusting group volume is a huge task and takes multiple steps, where before the update it was clear and easy. Please restore this feature. 

Not all grouped speakers respond to master volume slider. Is this a (another) known issue?

I'm disappointed this has not been addressed yet, since you removed the feature from the last update. I found the ability to control all volumes with one slide bar, (which had an easy to read number for reference), to be incredibly useful and a differentiating feature from your competitors. Currently, the single slide bar, which has no number for reference, is not as responsive and will not adjust all other speakers currently in use. Please fix this as the last update was a huge step backwards in useful features. 

I totally agree 

There is an easy alternative for the scenario in the original post, if you have activated SVC

“Hey Sonos, set volume on all speakers to X”

(where X is between 1 and 100)

(Note: this will change the volume setting on all speakers in system)

Hope that helps

Bring back the old volume % sliders. So frustrating controlling the volume. Honestly one of my favorite things about using the app was how easy it was to control speakers volume and chose which speakers were synced. 

Bring back the old volume % sliders. So frustrating controlling the volume. Honestly one of my favorite things about using the app was how easy it was to control speakers volume and chose which speakers were synced. 

What is difficult about controlling the volumes using the sliders in the new app?  It seems to me fundamentally the same as before.

Now that I am no longer away from my system, I find that it is still fairly easy to zeroise all the sliders in a group and then have them move together.  (Personally, I still don’t find that helpful, but we all use our systems differently.)  But I still ask:what is the problem with controlling individual speaker volumes in a group please?

As I recall. In the previous version you could click the master slider and it would quickly display the slider for each individual speaker slider so you could adjust each one individually all at a glance. Hopefully that makes sense. I also liked how they displayed the volume % as you adjusted the volume slider. 

It is admittedly not quite the same as group volume button is not visible at the same time as individual speaker volumes.  I don’t personally find that that matters, but others may feel differently.

And for @Pipster294 

Moderator edit: combined posts

The frustration with volume control is just the worst experience I’ve had with Sonos.

Not all grouped speakers respond to master volume slider. Is this a (another) known issue?

I also have this issue now.  I have 2 Ones in stereo in a room,  another 2 Ones in stero in another room, a ERA 100 in a 3rd room and a Roam SL in a 4th room.

These 4 rooms are in a group.  Since the last update (or maybe the one before, not sure). Adjusting the volume on the group only does the ERA 100 and all the Ones.  The Roam SL is no longer affected though its clearly shown as part of the group.  

Answering myself here.  I removed the Roam SL from the group and added it back and it fixed the issue.