Skip to main content
Answered

Adding My Music Library

• 7 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve been able to add my music library to my Windows 10 Desktop using the NAS device option.  I have a Windows 10 Laptop I use for a different Sonos system in a different location. I have the music library physically on both devices, with the folder sharing settings the same. When I try to add the music library to the laptop system I get the “Folder access denied” message.  When I transferred the music library to a flash drive I was able to add it to the Laptop system without a problem.  Any ideas why? Don’t want to have to leave a flash drive connected all the time.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bthurlow 

Thanks for your post! And, apologies for the delay.

Sorry to hear of the issues your are having in trying to share a music folder to your Sonos system.

Given the error message you see, and the lack of error with a flash drive, my assumption would be that you need to alter the permissions of the folder that you are trying to share. The folder permissions must be set in a way such that the user account that Sonos is using to connect to your Windows PC has access. Flash drives typically use a file system that does not include file permissions at all, so that is likely why you do not see this issue with the flash drive.

I recommend following the steps laid out in the following thread:

Though, when adding the folder in the Sonos, please choose the bottom of the 3 options - Networked Device (ex. NAS drive).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I use a PC not a phone.  The problem was you have to add the Sonos system as a User under the “Security” tab as well as “Advanced Sharing” tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bthurlow 

Indeed - an account must have access to the folder as well as to the network share - apologies if this was not made clear.

Badge

Finally added my iTunes music library today thanks to some hints in the community. BUT now the Android app keeps crashing. Another hint said to clear the queue which prevents the app from crashing. This works but when will I be able to play iTunes through my speakers? The speakers are great for their size, but the software is buggy. This needs to be addressed, considering the cost of the Sonos products,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @krell 

Sorry to hear you are affected by this new issue that was identified yesterday - we are investigating. All I can suggest at the moment is either using a Sonos app that is not on an Android device (Windows, macOS, iOS or web app) in the meantime, or foregoing Music Library until this is resolved. There is no ETA for a resolution, but it will be very high priority.

I hope this helps.