Adding a new product on S1 Controller but app sends me to S2

Hello.

I have looked through the questions and haven’t seen one similar but apologies if already asked (there was one 3+ yrs ag).

I have 3 x Play 1 and 1 x Play5 which are NOT compatible with S2.

I recently removed the Bridge and have now managed to connect directly….. well two of them.

I left the third and now, when trying to add, tI go to Settings > System > Add Product and a pop up box says Sonos app needs updating before I can do anything else.

Clicking update on that open a window which takes me to the S2 app and asks me to download that.

I really need to just add the final Play 1 into the existing system but circumnavigating the command to update to S2.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

If you go into the S1 App ‘Settings/System/About My System’ and look through your list of devices what  software/firmware version is installed on each one of your Sonos devices?

The current S1 software version is 11.10.1 (build 571743140)

The current S2 software version is 15.6 (build 74043110)

If you see the latter S2 software, then your devices have been upgraded to S2 already and are therefore looking for the S2 Sonos App.

Thanks

My app says 11.10.1 as do the devices.

My devices are too old to be compatible for S2

It’s the actual app which is causing issues as I can’t add in another older Pay1 to the system without having to do the app upgrade. As soon as I try to add a product it goes straight to this popup and clicking it takes me to the S2 app. No option to cancel / skip or whatever.

Thanks again for the help

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Number, considered private information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I don’t see your Play:5 (gen1) in the posted screenshot, or the other Play:1? Are those both in your list too and are they up-to-date on S1? (Note Play:1’s are both S1 & S2 compatible).

If you have Play:1's, then they are most certainly compatible with S2.  The only S1 only standalone speaker is the Play:5 Gen 1.

Thanks.

The second play 1 and play 5 are not listed as it’s on a scroll screen.

I have previously tried to update to S2 but got an error saying the products were incompatible.

I’ll check.

Sorry I have a play 3 not 5.

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Numbers, considered private information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Thanks.

The second play 1 and play 5 are not listed as it’s on a scroll screen.

I have previously tried to update to S2 but got an error saying the products were incompatible.

I’ll check

The Play:5 (gen1) and your old Bridge are compatible with S1 software only.

The 3 x Play:1’s are both S1 or S2 software compatible. My thoughts are you may have already previously upgraded one, or more Play:1’s to S2 and that’s why you might be encountering these issues. 

Our posts crossed - I’m still not seeing a Play:5 (gen1) in your device list? I’m seeing a Play:3 is that in addition to your Play:5 (gen1) …or were you mistaken🤔?

Yes, sorry, It’s a Play 3 not a Play 5

Note a Play:3 is also both S1 and S2 compatible aswell - if you do not have a Play:5 (gen1) and plan to leave your Bridge aside, then you are better off upgrading all your players to the newer S2 software anyway here.

Yes, agreed. I’ll try that. Thanks.

I’ve d/l S2 and it says unable to connect to sonos system.

Do you think I need to disconnect everything again and set it up as a new system?

Yes, agreed. I’ll try that. Thanks.

Having already removed your Bridge, you can upgrade via the S1 App ‘Settings/System/System Tools/System Compatibility Check’ and follow the onscreen instructions. See this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/update-from-s1-to-s2

That’s perfect. Gradually they all updated to S2 and I’ve managed to add the final Play as well.

THank you SO much for your help. I’ve been faffing with this for hours and you’ve really helped.

I’m not sure why I thought they were incompatible but perhaps it was because of the bridge.

Thank again. Brilliant. 👍