Answered

Add Sonos Speaker to Control4

• 25 December 2022
  • 2 replies

I have a Control4 system with a multi-room amp running multiple zones of passive in-ceiling speakers. I’d like to add zones to other rooms without running wires. Is it possible to add powered Sonos speakers (like the One or Five) to a Control4 system? I know it can be done with a Port and Passive speakers, but what about powered Wifi speakers?

icon

Best answer by buzz 25 December 2022, 04:15

View original

2 replies

No, the wireless communication methods are different. 

Full disclosure: I’m not a Control4 user or fan.

The SONOS PORT cannot directly drive passive speakers. PORT would drive a 3rd party amplifier. Of course there would be wires between PORT and the power amplifier, then wires between the amplifier and speakers. Logically, AMP would provide the same function with the speakers connected directly to AMP. With some imagination, running wires to the speakers could be straight forward. For example, an AMP hidden in a closet and wires run down through the floor could drive ceiling speakers below. You would need power in the closet. Or this same scheme could hide AMP under a bed or sofa. Control4 could directly support ONE or FIVE.

A major problem for me is that Control4 is a closed system. You’d need to hire a Control4 integrator to work out the details or make any future changes. SONOS is designed for user setup and operation. Yes, except for adding 3rd party sources and amplifiers by PORT and 3rd party speakers via AMP, SONOS is a closed system too, but you don’t need to call the integrator just to add a Room. And. of course, SONOS does not control lighting, shades, or thermostats. Regardless, SONOS integrates with common voice control services and user pad/phone/computer controller Apps without any fuss.

Search the web for “Control4 Sonos integration” and you’ll get various opinions. Be sure to pay attention to the posting date. Posts earlier than about 2017 are not relevant and I don’t trust much prior to May of 2020. But, you can accuse me of having an anti Control4 attitude -- which is true.

Part of the “best” answer here is your commitment to Control4. If you have a large Control4 system with shade, heating, lighting, garage door, etc. integration, it might make sense to continue with Control4. If your Control4 system simply runs a few audio rooms, it may make financial sense to replace Control4 with SONOS. Look at the total costs to do this -- including any integrator installation and maintenance fees.