Skip to main content

I am thinking of purchasing Sonos surround sound system (ARC, sub, 2 extra speakers).  I want to access my music from my Buffalo Linkstation NAS.  I see that this is one of many problems due to the app update.

Is this still an issue? 

Should I wait to purchase or buy now?

As long as  your NAS supports SMB v2/v3, you should be fine.

Thank you.

My LS210D supports SMB 1 & 2.  I have SMB set to automatic with signin disabled.

How much music do you have on your NAS? 

The ‘new’ app is not designed for people playing local music. Selection of music from a large local library is tedious at best, and basic queue editing is not yet available. 

For local music, Sonos is not a good choice at this time. Do a search on the new app after you’ve got yourself a stiff drink. 

Sonos is fine for local music but the app interface isn't.

If you really do plan to use a NAS with a lot of local music I would suggest making sure the NAS supports Plex.

You can add Plex as a service on Sonos.

Also, if you do choose Plex I would suggest looking if your NAS is Intel based… It's a better experience than with ARM based processors.

My LS210D supports SMB 1 & 2.  I have SMB set to automatic with signin disabled.

Hi @PeteB54, many users have problems when their NAS is setup for both SMBv1 and SMBv2. To save yourself the headache, disable SMBv1 on your LS210D.

Thank you all very much.  Buffalo LS210D does not support PLEX.   So it looks like I’ll be getting a new NAS that will work with PLEX. 

Funny, I had an older Sonos system (10+ years) working at my prior house with the buffalo and did not require plex.  I left everything when I sold the house.  I want to do whole house music again at the new house with the latest sonos and things got sideways.  Does not reflect well for sonos.

I think the basic message is, if you’re setting up from new, which mandates using the new app, and forces firmware updates (the latter not unreasonable as different components will have different levels out of the box) then expect issues at present. 

Then if you intend to mostly listen to music from a NAS, there is no first letter selection, no scroll bar, and you just have swipe up endlessly. Bad news if your favourite artist is that little ol’ band from Texas… On top of that queue editing is still absent, and playlist management is not great either, mostly on the back of no queue editing. 

If none of that puts you off… 😉

Currently the desktop controller is more functional.