Answered

Access to 218+ NAS Denied (but only for Play 5, not Play1)

• 22 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have quite happily played my music, stored on a Synology 218+, on both Play 5 and Play 1 for several years. I updated the Sonos S1 app on my Windows 10 PC today. Things were fine initially, but when I added a couple of folders to Music Library I got the dreaded “access denied” message when attempting to listen on Play 5.

Having had a similar problem a few years ago, I started ploughing through “access denied” solutions, to no avail.

What baffles me, though, is that I can successfully listen on Play 1 to music stored in the same library (using the same app on the same PC). How can that be?

I should add that the same problem exists when using my Android phone, i.e.access denied for Play 5, fine for Play 1

A.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 July 2023, 23:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Perhaps see if the fix mentioned in this thread by @sjw will resolve the issue for you…

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/access-denied-to-synolog-nas-server-can-t-play-files-in-one-room-other-rooms-are-fine-6882384

Thank you Ken.

I’ve looked at your link, and was immediately disturbed by “SSH” and “PUTTY” in the first couple of lines; then “sudo” - that’s linux, isn’t it? 😒. I’ll look into it.

In the meantime I have Synology’s Audio Station happily playing my music files on my Play:5 😊.

I’d still like to know why Sonos S1 can read my Synology music files and play them on Play:1, but can’t read the files when asked to play them on Play:5.

A.

Thank you Ken.

I’ve looked at your link, and was immediately disturbed by “SSH” and “PUTTY” in the first couple of lines; then “sudo” - that’s linux, isn’t it? 😒. I’ll look into it.

In the meantime I have Synology’s Audio Station happily playing my music files on my Play:5 😊.

I’d still like to know why Sonos S1 can read my Synology music files and play them on Play:1, but can’t read the files when asked to play them on Play:5.

A.

I don’t know the answer to your question @AlanHP, but it seems clear in that thread that others came across a similar issue and that disabling the unix extensions fixed things. So I’m guessing it’s some sort of compatibility issue with some devices and ‘possibly’ their available memory capacity - but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.

See attached chart showing product device memory etc. FWIW.