A note of protest being stuck on the S1 controller

• 22 April 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m sure this has been posted many times, but I just want to voice my frustration that after being such a loyal customer, investing so much money in a house-wide system and most recently buying a Roam that won’t work with my S1 controller, Sonos completely sucks for leaving its older products behind and cutting us off from buying new products.  Major thumbs down.  I’ll be sure to warn others on this on Amazon reviews, etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It was inevitable.  Show me one piece of almost 20 year old old smart tech which is A) Still usable and B) Still able to interact with current modern smart electronics.  Sonos at least fully accomplishes A) and partially accomplishes B), which is far more than any other I know.  

The older SONOS products cannot support features that potential new customers demand. SONOS had a hard choice -- stop development and slowly fade away or declare a second branch using current technology.

I had to recycle a perfectly functional cellphone that the cell towers would no longer connect with because it used an obsolete radio.

Sonos completely sucks for leaving its older products behind and cutting us off from buying new products.  Major thumbs down. 

I don’t see that you’ve been cut off from buying new products? Just install the S2 App alongside the S1 App and use the new Roam from that App. I have both Apps running ‘side-by-side’ here and my Roam and a few other devices are working fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only speakers stuck on S1 are the Gen 1 Play:5 and the Gen 1 Connects, all over ten years old. Everything else can run S2. Pretty amazing for any network-connected devices these days.