Skip to main content

913 Error Code

Hi, I’m new to the forum and not tech savvy. Just wanted to voice my complete disbelief at the 913 error code. How anyone can release something so poor without ‘road testing’ it, simply beggars belief

Staggeringly poor service and a lack of apology/information is NOT helping your position Sonos.

Berryfields1967

Cambridge

England

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 2

I too got the update today. When I tried to add my music library to my Sonos, I ended getting an error code 913. One of the reason I I went to Sonos was to play my Apple I-Tunes music collection through there speakers. The ability to play my music collection just went away today. I was able to play my music when the new app first came out. If this is how it is going to be, I will be very upset with Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I too got the update today. When I tried to add my music library to my Sonos, I ended getting an error code 913. One of the reason I I went to Sonos was to play my Apple I-Tunes music collection through there speakers. The ability to play my music collection just went away today. I was able to play my music when the new app first came out. If this is how it is going to be, I will be very upset with Sonos. 

You don’t have to keep pasting the same reply everywhere.  You can be upset and not copy/paste angrily.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Here is the fix for a PC. It takes two minutes:

1. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  2. Right click on the folder
  3. Select “Properties” from menu
  4. Select “Sharing” tab
  5. Click “Share...” button (opens “Network Access” window)
  6. Select your SONOS system from the pulldown menu in the center of the window.
  7. Click “Share” button at the bottom of the “Network Access” window 
  8. It took SONOS 10 minutes to add my library of 10K+ songs

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Scrubbrush

Just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you, that worked an absolute treat - you are a legend! - I’ a surveyor, so if your house is F******d, do let me know and i’ll try & help out

Thank you!

Berryfields1967

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can’t you use the Apple Music service to do the same thing on Sonos?  Anything I have in iTunes is avaIlable in my local music library and also via Apple Music service on Sonos.  

Userlevel 1

1. Find a music folder that you want to “share” with SONOS (i.e. navigate to the folder on the PC).
  4. Select “Sharing” tab

Thanks for me I had to do one more step 

share folder under advanced sharing and add sonos under permissions

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Giro, yes, I gad to do that too. Sorry I forgot to add that but it was my wifes Birthday and I'd had a beer 🍻  two!

Thanks 

Simon

I encountered the same issue this morning. My NAS file-sharing configuration was set to SMB1. I switched it to SMB2, and the error 913 no longer appeared and now my shares are actively scanning.  Not sure if this will help anyone, but figured it was worth sharing.

Thank you very much for your Help. Problem solved !!! So Cool.

Same issues on Mac. Not sure how to solve. 

Have network drive connected with my airport. Adding network folder fails with paths such as 

\\IPAddress\Foldername with error 913

Any help on how to rectify using iOS grateful received.

4. Select “Sharing” tab

Thanks for me I had to do one more step 

share folder under advanced sharing and add sonos under permissions

Thanks, for the extra info GIRO.  It works.

What I don’t understand is why Sonos didn’t just transfer the settings over for the music library when updating.  There’s no reason to wipe it out during the update.  I know that Sonos isn’t supporting the outdated SMBv1 and HTTP protocols because of security reasons going forward, and that’s reasonable.  But once the update is complete, a good programmer should be able to create a procedure to check for these no longer valid protocols and warn users that the path to the music library is no longer allowed and they will need to adjust the protocols or recreate a new music library.  But local paths should be left alone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What I don’t understand is why Sonos didn’t just transfer the settings over for the music library when updating.  There’s no reason to wipe it out during the update.  I know that Sonos isn’t supporting the outdated SMBv1 and HTTP protocols because of security reasons going forward, and that’s reasonable.  But once the update is complete, a good programmer should be able to create a procedure to check for these no longer valid protocols and warn users that the path to the music library is no longer allowed and they will need to adjust the protocols or recreate a new music library.  But local paths should be left alone.

If a good programmer was given the time they needed this would all be working as it should.

The problem here is that the management rushed the release probably because of the set of headphones the rumours say they will announce tomorrow. 

If a good programmer was given the time they needed this would all be working as it should.

The problem here is that the management rushed the release probably because of the set of headphones the rumours say they will announce tomorrow. 

Fair points!  Money influences all business decisions, good and bad.

I tried this approach for my Mac but it didn’t work. Network setting for Sonos is Custom, changed to Read/Write but failed with same error and folder setting reverted to Custom

Thanks to Scrubbrush and GIRO. I was able to add music files to PC using the solutions they provided. I wasted hours with Sonos customer service without any success. I was supposed to be making an appointment with escalation team that never happened. Very disappointed.

I would appreciate if someone can help. I have iPhone and iPads that have Sonos apps and connected to the Music files on PC via WiFi. Prior to this update, I could play music in subfolder in queue, add other files to the queue etc. Also there was a sleep timer. It’s not there. Any idea?

thank you.

I have never complained on line before but I am disgusted with the latest update with my Sonos equipment getting the 913 error. I do not stream music and only use my Sonos products to listen to radio and mainly my own music and playlists. This is an appalling update which needs to be sorted out immediately.

I have tried the various suggestions to enable it to work but not had any success (probably as I am not too hot on tech) so come on Sonos get your act into gear I would certainly not recommend their products due to rubbish updates.

I don't know why, but GIRO's solution doesn't work. I even tried different advanced sharing settings (read only, read/write). Still get that same annoying error. 

To Sonos team

Please read Nutron’s reply. He has no answer to my questions. Do you?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just spent 45 minutes with a useless individual at Sonos “non-support.”

Helpfully, he informed me that the destruction of my local library access is a “KNOWN ISSUE.”

Yes, I, and thousands of others are aware that this is a known issue. Thank you for that.

Unfortunately, his “workaround” did not, uhm, work. At all.

So I still have no local library access.

Thanks to those of you who have spelled out very specific steps for reacquiring my library. Unfortunately, my attempts using these steps failed, and SoNOs NonSupport attempted the same steps several different ways -a dn those all failed as well.

TO RECAP:

1. SoNOs deceived users into downloading an app that completely ruined the experience of thousands of previously loyal customers
  2. SoNOs happily reported that they found themselves courageous in deceiving their customers
  3. SoNOs have done *-ALL fixing the issues that they courageously caused
  4. SoNOs, not satisfied having ruined the app, and refusing to revert to the prior app version, had THE BALLS to send out marketing emails to pissed off “users” about a pair of headphones you could NOT PAY ME TO USE
  5. SoNOs, still not completely satisfied with the results of all their “couraging,” decide to jump into our desktop controllers and remove users’ access to their own local libraries - YOU SEE, it was not enough that they absolutely * local library access in the botched app
  6. THEY HAD TO GO ALL THE COURAGEOUS WAY AND STEAL MY LOCAL LIBRARY ACCESS FROM MY OWN DESKTOP
  7. BUT, WORRRY NOT, DEAR “USER” FOR THIS IS A KNOWN.* . ISSUE.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Badge

Thanks Scrubbrush and GIRO. This worked for me. I’m very grateful. I won’t repeat my thoughts on the new app. I have to try and accept that progress is sometimes painful at first.

Thanks to the Sonos community and DXNY for the Windows fix -- really quite simple. I don’t understand: a.) how Sonos’ update team didn’t have a test bed to catch this problem; b.) didn’t send out a prior notification of this kind of change; c.) didn’t embed a notice in the actual update itself; d.) could have sent out an update of this type just before a long weekend; e.) made users wait for 2+ hours for support call assistance; and f.) by now have sent out an apology to users for the disruption. Somebody in the service and support team needs to be looking for a new job.

Userlevel 1

I don't know why, but GIRO's solution doesn't work. I even tried different advanced sharing settings (read only, read/write). Still get that same annoying error. 

it isn’t working for me either! 

Userlevel 1

I encountered the same issue this morning. My NAS file-sharing configuration was set to SMB1. I switched it to SMB2, and the error 913 no longer appeared and now my shares are actively scanning.  Not sure if this will help anyone, but figured it was worth sharing.

That’s definitely not the problem for me - my NAS drive is already SMBv2, and I still get the 913 error.