Answered

24bit playback from local source no longer works on Play:1?

• 20 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having trouble playing 24bit audio files from a local source on a Play:1. This was working great after the S2 upgrade but about firmware v.69.1-33120 this no longer works.

I have been able to confirm that 24bit playback did work on firmware v.69.1-31120. Then I updated the firmware on that Play:1 and 24bit playback stopped.

Currently on firmware v.70.4-36090 with no improvement.

Fun fact: I added a Playbase to the system over the weekend and it plays back 24bit files just fine on the latest firmware.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 December 2022, 10:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rorykingms 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If rebooting the Play:1 doesn’t help (and I suspect it won’t as it will reboot every time it updates) I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone that route with technical support. I spent four hours on the phone with them to no avail. 

I know it’s an edge case but I’m trying to confirm if anyone else has experienced this. 

I'm curious, if you start a problem track on PLAYBASE then Group PLAY:1 do both units play?

They do not. Only the Playbase and a One SL that I have.

The One SL was tested with technical support on the phone. A Play:1 could be the master and the One SL would play just fine but no audio from the Play:1. Same result if the One SL was the master. 

Support indicated that the Play:1 had an error message/code that the file couldn’t be played which was odd because the same file could be played with the older firmware on a Play:1. 

Maybe support could probe deeper. There have been a handful of reports indicating that a small defective RAM area can cause unexpected errors that might be intermittent. Sometimes these bad areas are involved with never used functions for a given installation, then a firmware update might move things to new RAM locations and a regularly used function is now mapped into the bad area. (in your case, perhaps 24bit support) Of course, this is pure speculation for me. Support may be able to execute a RAM test sequence. This would be tricky for a functioning product -- similar to changing socks while running.

I am also seeing this with firmware v.70.4-36090 on my Play:1 speakers. It was working fine previously. I’ve contacted sonos multiple times about this. They know that they busted the Play:1 with this change, but have been silent on if or when they will fix the issue. 

Increasingly more of my music library is coming from Bandcamp, and most downloads are 24-bit ALAC, so I’m hoping that they’ll get this sorted soon. :/

Thanks for the confirmation. I first noticed it with Bandcamp purchases as well. 

** UPDATE !! **

Sonos released a firmware and controller update today that fixes 24-bit playback on the Play:1 speakers! 

I immediately applied it to my system, and confirmed that 24-bit is working now on both my older and newer devices in my Sonos stable. 

Hooray!

Thanks for the heads up!

Updated and tested this evening and can also confirm 24-bit playback is working again on the Play:1s.