Skip to main content

15.5 Slider Micro ticks gone

• 22 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi Sonos,

i just upgraded to 15.5 and found out that Sonos solved the slider sync issues with a very cheap way removing the micro ticks when moving the sliders. Now I need to release the slider before I get a change applied to the speaker. The only slider which still has the ticks is the volume slider. What is going on Sonos? I expect that moving a slider immediately is getting applied to the speaker like in the past. Please fix immediately!!!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’ll note that I use another App, unrelated to SONOS, that can have jerky slide ticks. The problem is that there is too much under the hood processing for iOS to pay close attention to this slider. Attempting to keep ticks synchronized with the slide is a fool’s errand because tick action is not usually smooth and is very dependent on how many Apps are running and their background demands on processor time. I imagine that older, slower iOS devices will struggle more. I’ve resorted to updating my function as the user releases the slide, rather than attempting to individually react to very jumpy ticks.

I suppose that the SONOS developers have come to the same conclusion.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Dear buzz. Sorry to be rude, but I don’t accept your statement because you don’t

1. use the Sonos S2 App
  2. you make assumptions that I run many apps in the background
  3. you make assumptions about my iOS device age.

Please be factual. The ticks worked fine for all sliders before 15.3 fine. Same iOS devices. The functionality was there. The intention is to mimic a physical slider. A physical slider does not need to be released before the setting is adjusted. The current 14.5 slider behavior is just wrong.

Sonos is using a publish/subscribe model for sliders, the processing is happening in the controller of the speaker and not in the app. Sonos has to cleanup their firmware.

I’ll note that I use another App, unrelated to SONOS, that can have jerky slide ticks. The problem is that there is too much under the hood processing for iOS to pay close attention to this slider. Attempting to keep ticks synchronized with the slide is a fool’s errand because tick action is not usually smooth and is very dependent on how many Apps are running and their background demands on processor time. I imagine that older, slower iOS devices will struggle more. I’ve resorted to updating my function as the user releases the slide, rather than attempting to individually react to very jumpy ticks.

I suppose that the SONOS developers have come to the same conclusion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Not sure what you're setup is, but “micro ticks” are still functional on my S2 system, after updating app and hardware to 15.5 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Not sure what you're setup is, but “micro ticks” are still functional on my S2 system, after updating app and hardware to 15.5 

Interesting, the ticks are all gone except for the volume slider. Looking forward to other users. I have the same experience on the Sonos S2 App on my iPad and iPhone. The value changes only when I release the slider and is happening on all my Sonos speaker in all my rooms.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Interesting, the ticks are all gone except for the volume slider. Looking forward to other users. I have the same experience on the Sonos S2 App on my iPad and iPhone. The value changes only when I release the slider and is happening on all my Sonos speaker in all my rooms.

It is a recognized issue by Sonos and definitely a bug!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Micro ticks are back with 15.7.