Skip to main content

Good day to all !

I posted another topic when, once upon a time, my 2 Sonos Connect were not able anymore to access the local music library, hosted on a NAS. Many people told me about the SMB1 protocol when I specified from the beginning that I a using SMB2 only since more than 5 or 8 years now.

Of course, both of them used to work very well before that. The known issue was coming from a Sonos update when they released their headset and I have seen that many, many people were very upset by that.

One day, several weeks later, a new Sonos update made be re-abled to access to this library, but I had to delete, then recreate it.

So, today, I have a room that works very well, the Sonos Connect plays all the music tracks I want… but not the other one.

Both are on the same Wi-Fi router / network, but the one in the second room refuses to work and I get an ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED message when I try to play something locally from either Phonos or Sonos Controller or the Sonos Android App. It cannot access the local library but it works with (and only with 😓) online music services.

As a summary, a same track plays well on Sonos Connect #1 but not on Sonos Connect #2.

Here are some information on the 2 Connect devices :

#1 (the one that works) :

Sonos OS: S2
Version : 16.3.3 (number 80156190)
Hardware version : 1.22.1.5-2.1
Serial ID: D101
WM: 1

#2 (the one that does not work) :

Sonos OS: S2
Version : 16.3.3 (number 80156190)
Hardware version : 1.17.5.5-2.0
Serial ID: C100
WM: 1
OTP: 1.1.1(1-17-5-zp90-2.1)

I do not know what the OTP is for, but this field is not displayed by the #1 Connect.

Does someone has some idea to help me understand what is going on and solve this issue ?

Many thanks by advanced for your help !

B.R.

Eric

That certainly seems odd. Unfortunately, while you’ve given excellent information about the Sonos devices, there are no details given about your network, which is most likely why one device is ‘blocked’ from seeing your NAS while the other is not. But, I am guessing here, to be certain, I would need to be looking at harder data. Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

That certainly seems odd. Unfortunately, while you’ve given excellent information about the Sonos devices, there are no details given about your network, which is most likely why one device is ‘blocked’ from seeing your NAS while the other is not. But, I am guessing here, to be certain, I would need to be looking at harder data. Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Hello @Airgetlam ,

Many thanks for your answer. I have not talked so much about the network because nothing changed on this side, but thinking a little bit more about it, you are right, something could have changed in the way the Sonos software manages it.

I have not sent the system diagnostic. I do this right now, thanks for the advice.

Have a nice day !

Eric

@Airgetlam ,

FYI, it works now. I do not know exactly what changed (maybe a layer that has been restated on the Connect that did not work ?), but I forced the NAS with the SMB2 protocol, instead of SMB2 as the minimum and SMB3 as the maximum protocol version.

I did this because the Connect that worked was using SMB3, but the Sonos Support guy had no input about the SMB version used by the Connect that didn’t work properly. Both were OK when he asked me to test using a library hosted on my PC which is in SMB2 only.

So here it is ! 🥰

Many thanks for your time !

Eric