Skip to main content

I’m incredibly frustrated with the Sonos ecosystem the past 24 months, but unfortunately I’ve got enough invested in the eco system I’m still trying to make use. 

I don’t know what sort of pissing match Sonos is in with Google on the backend but the ZERO updates to Google Assistant or the numerous issues plaguing it since release suggest there is one. I’ve given up on Sonos Google Assistant and just ditched it. 

That said, Google have forced everyone to YouTube Music so I can’t dodge that. With YTM we’ve lost the ability to cast from the YTM app to Sonos speakers. Google Play could, YTM can’t so clearly not a technical thing but a business thing.

Sonos’s response is “use our app”. Ok let’s pretend like it’s 8 years ago and that’s how people want to stream their music, the YTM integration into Sonos is brutal. All of the missing features below were possible with Google Play.

1. Can’t add a current playing song to library. So anything you find and want to keep, you need to take that track title, find it in the YTM app (which you can’t play to Sonos from) and add it, then go back to Sonos to control the music. Are you kidding me? What year is it?
  2. As above, can’t add a playing song to a playlist

Actually lets just sum up what you can do with a playing song in regards to your library. Nothing. 

It never gets better with patience either, there’s never any updates for this stuff. 

Hi @AuZZZie, welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for sharing this with us.

We received reports from some of the customers that they are unable to see all of their uploaded music within YouTubeMusic on Sonos. Let me share this thread for your reference.

Users who recently migrated from Google Play Music to Youtube Music will likely notice this acutely. Please see below are workarounds that we can provide for now.

• Customers can still search for and play their uploaded content.
  • Customers can still add search results to My Sonos / Favourites

This has been reported to YouTube Music and we'd like to encourage you to also report the issue with YouTube Music. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Appreciate the reply but nothing you said is relevant to the issues I'm reporting. I can see my library just fine. What I can't do, is add anything to my library or to a playlist. No one wants to add songs to your "my Sonos" which isn't accessible outside the Sonos app or their house. We build playlists where they are accessible in the car, on a plane etc. 

You guys are seriously out of touch with how people use streaming services these days.

Hi @AuZZZie, thank you for your response and for sharing your feedback with us. To further assist you, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support. Our phone support can perform real-time troubleshooting using their tools to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

I actually use Sonos Favorites (or My Sonos, or whatever Sonos calls it now), and because Google discontinued Google Play Music in favor of YouTube Music, now I have to manually delete every song/station in Sonos Favorites from Google Play Music, and then add the same ones back from YTM. So inconvenient.