Skip to main content
hey guys, few weeks ago I received an email from yonomi that they revamped the options for controlling sonos stuff, cool!

I set it up, but location based action do not produce any effect. Yonomi is set up on my iphone, there are no other devices running yonomi in the house.

Let me be more clear.

I have a stereo pair of sonos one.

The yonomi location routines are the following:

1) WHEN i leave the house, STOP speaker

2) WHEN i arrive, PLAY FAVOURITE playlist

I receive a notification for both on my lockscreen, meaning the app understands correctly when I enter or leave the trigger zone.

Unfortunately though, the music is not stopped/played accordingly.

What is more weird is that when i'm at home and I force the routine, the speaker stops/plays as it should.

I'm pretty confused and would like some feedback from whoever is also using yonomi.

- ideas for troubleshooting?

- what is it that is going wrong?

- i read somewhere that i may have to keep a specific device always in the house running the yonomi app (some sort of 'bridge'). is this the case?

- what is your experience with linking these?
do you have your yonomi app on a dedicated stay home all the time phone or tablet. If your everywhere phone it where the yonomi routine lives. It never sent the command to your sonos. When I contact them about some routines not working, that was the resolution, to use a old phone as a steering device for the sonos.

It is a bit annoying, as it is like adding another hub to the network. But it seems to fix most of my issues.
do you have your yonomi app on a dedicated stay home all the time phone or tablet. If your everywhere phone it where the yonomi routine lives. It never sent the command to your sonos. When I contact them about some routines not working, that was the resolution, to use a old phone as a steering device for the sonos.

It is a bit annoying, as it is like adding another hub to the network. But it seems to fix most of my issues.

Hi! I see!

I luckily have a spare phone laying around, I will try to set it up this evening.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Yonomi should make this clearer, hopefully this forum will help other people
Yeah, they should. But a lot of my routines I have on the yonomi will be deleted when google assistance is integrated with sonos. Yonomi is only a work around right now for me.
Yeah, they should. But a lot of my routines I have on the yonomi will be deleted when google assistance is integrated with sonos. Yonomi is only a work around right now for me.

Can you do the same kind of stuff with the assistant? How? I'm really into this stuff!
I think the Yonomi app has to be open and running on the network (somewhere) to make its routines work. On an iPhone the App should be set to 'run in background', but the App still must be open... so if you slide it up-screen and close it, the routines don’t actually run. That’s been my experience, at least.
I think the Yonomi app has to be open and running to make its routines work. On an iPhone the App should be set to 'run in background', but the App still must be open... so if you slide it up-screen and close it the routines don’t actually run. That’s been my experience, at least.

Indeed, I guess you need an ad hoc device in your house always on, always on the yonomi app...

Otherwise the yonomi "world" is limited at where the phone is.

In my case what happens is that the routine is correctly triggered by the location and the command is correctly sent to the sonos, but the command will never reach it because I am not already on the wifi...

I guess that when you have two devices with the app set up (one with you and one stationary at home), than the former can propagate the message to the sonos through the latter that acts as a bridge. I still have to try unfortunately
Also you might everynow and then, want to make yonomi do a routine force update. So the routines still active for a particular sonos device. I notice that you need to open the device and swap down in the yonomi app when every you add a new routine for that device to get it to work. Not the prefect solution for seamless integration.
Should - in my opinion - work based on location ánd connected to WIFI network. It is an option when you define a location to add name of WiFi network, but looks like not being taken into account as ‘AND’ for location determination. Yonomi activates Sonos in a radius of 100m of the location, without WiFi connection no working Sonos trigger.

I’ll try with an extra hub (iPad) to see if that works ...
I would not be too surprised if Yonomi starts using the API Sonos is now (I think) providing through the cloud, so that wifi connection is no longer a requirement for Sonos related actions.
Also note: Yonomi routines only seem to work when you enable alerts/messages/badges in iOS. You don’t have to have the app open that way.

I didn’t get any routine to work at all, not even a simple play while being in my house but enabling notifications fixed it. I am now using it on Google Home.

Hope it helps someone. 🙂