Question

Yesterdays (March 11th, 2016) Sonos Anouncment

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Correct no hype on here about Apple Music....but did you read all the stories?
Stop spreading misinformation. TruePlay is 100% optional, it is not "required to set up". The "hype" about Apple Music was from Apple, being very late to the party for third party streamers, well behind Google.

Pops44, you are new here, so I will try to be gentle. Shotgunning post after post filled with nothing but rabid speculation or wild conspiracies will not endear you to the locals. Sit back, take a breath, and let more information come in before screaming the world is ending.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
We are just talking......What's next for Sonos after Thursday announment ?

Are you not curios?
Sonos is a hardware company, you're talking like they've sold all the hardware they're ever going to sell. The sales figures don't back that up.

Sonos doesn't have to compete with streaming services, they just have to support them. Sonos doesn't have to compete with other people's voice control, they just have to support it. Streaming services and voice control are useless if you have nothing to play it on, ie hardware. I just don't see Amazon moving into hardware in any serious manner. It's not their line of business, same as streaming music services are not Sonos' line of business. Voice control is an online service, the local hardware doesn't do the processing itself. It should be relatively trivial to incorporate any voice control service into internet connected hardware like Sonos. You just need a microphone, that's Sonos' current issue, only one of their devices has a mic. That will need sorting.
So far, you have 14 posts, every one of them predicting the worst. That's not "talking", that's Chicken Little. Like I said, take a breath.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have requested my posts be pulled.......and my ID removed.

I am very sorry

I am very sorry

Come on pops44 stick around. You can't expect everyone to see this the way you do, no reason to delete your account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos should as it has always done ... Be service independent. It's not about being behind its about allowing variety of services so you are not dependent on any.

I am very sorry

No need to pull your posts. It's understandable that the announcement causes one to wonder, but there is nothing there that gives even a slight possibility that Sonos will be bought by Apple. None. If anything, it points to a partnership with Amazon.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Ok, my first post here, in part prompted by the unkind treatment handed out by some to others. It's seems the company loyalty (or 'fanboyism') that pervades most sites Apple related is now all pervasive. I don't think multi-million pound companies like Sonos need the likes of us jumping to their defence at the slightest hint of dissent. Nor do I think Pops44 needs my support. But he, like all of us, are entitled to our thoughts / concerns, or heaven forbid -- our moans or complaints. If we were talking about a toaster oven then nobody would care. But when we are talking about possibly several thousands of pounds of kit that rely on software updates and back end servers to work why shouldn't we all be concerned? Nobody is suggesting that we wake up one morning to find that nothing works anymore. But last weeks announcement is bound to have us all guessing whether the kind of kit we all bought into will have a very long support life with Sonos itself. I have recently moved house and left a 6 zone Sonos system in situ. I will now delay any install in my new house until Sonos clarifies their direction. I'm sure this seed of doubt is what pops44 was alluding to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who shares that with him. And that, at the, end of the day, can't be good for Sonos. Some clarification is needed, and is that such a big ask considering the investment we've all made? Anyway, that is all. Let's just be nice to each other, ok? Big hugs. AS
Sorry, but it is not "fanboy" to correct decidedly false information (TruePlay "required to set up") or to quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It is a shame that those who wish to engage in a discussion but are unable to attribute their failure to "fanboy". Making a statement which is then discussed as a no gooer simply points out what it is.

Sonos does something. Very well.

There are many "I want" threads/posts which are just statements with no thought or reason other than "I want". Should the "I want" be reduced to "I want" by the practical application of facts then so be it?

Someone who disagrees with you is neither a troll or fanboy. It is their opinion. Of which there are plenty. Some can see how something could not work because of xyz or it would create new problems.
And you can take back that remark about this site being "Apple related" as well! I've never been so insulted!
It is a shame that those who wish to engage in a discussion but are unable to attribute their failure to "fanboy". Making a statement which is then discussed as a no gooer simply points out what it is.

There are many "I want" threads/posts which are just statements with no thought or reason other than "I want". Should the "I want" be reduced to "I want" by the practical application of facts then so be it?

Someone who disagrees with you is neither a troll or fanboy. It is their opinion. Of which there are plenty. Some can see how something could not work because of xyz or it would create new problems.

I agree with most of what you are saying. But just for clarification (ESL) are you saying that jgatie and The LHC aren't fanboys? I know it can be used pejoratively but they seem like passionate fans of the sonos product so by definition?

I agree with most of what you are saying. But just for clarification (ESL) are you saying that jgatie and The LHC aren't fanboys? I know it can be used pejoratively but they seem like passionate fans of the sonos product so by definition?

I prefer "logicboy" myself, that's usually when I wade in on something, when people say things that make no sense or defy any sort of common sense opinion. It's not solely related to Sonos...
Sorry, but it is not "fanboy" to correct decidedly false information (TruePlay "required to set up") or to quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence.

I think you are one of the top two or three people on the boards in terms of knowledge of the product. This thread was started to engage in rampant speculation and by defnintion since we are all outsiders it is going to be totally baseless, whether it is by me, you or pops44. Do you not think these threads are against the forum rules or something, trying to understand why you say suppress or quell speculation.
I'm pretty sure the poster was criticizing the use of fanboy to minimize or discount an opinion, or to make pops out to be a victim of fanboys, rather than simply being corrected on his misinformation and rampant speculation. It's an easy excuse.

I think you are one of the top two or three people on the boards in terms of knowledge of the product. This thread was started to engage in rampant speculation and by defnintion since we are all outsiders it is going to be totally baseless, whether it is by me, you or pops44. Do you not think these threads are against the forum rules or something, trying to understand why you say suppress or quell speculation.

There's no problem speculating on what direction Sonos might take in terms of development but that isn't what pops is doing, he's basically saying Sonos will be sold and shut down within the year. That sort of speculation isn't helpful to anyone and will put people off buying the product, which, if Sonos sales are suffering, isn't exactly going to help matters.

That's some mighty selective editing. My actual comment was "quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence." If you are going to speculate, at least have some crumb of reality to base it on.

That's some mighty selective editing. My actual comment was "quell rampant speculation for which there is zero evidence." If you are going to speculate, at least have some crumb of reality to base it on.

So you aren't trying to quell speculation here? So you are OK with only speculation that has a crumb of reality to base it on. None of us as outsiders have any reality to base it on other than the CEOs words. It follows that the same is true for the other side.
I thought I made myself perfectly clear. But I will spell it out for you:

Non-rampant, non-baseless speculation:

He's sure mentioning Echo a lot. Gee, I know Sonos has a long standing relationship with Amazon, and the Echo architecture is open, maybe they are going to partner up instead of Sonos going it alone? Though the new Play:5 does have mics built-in, I wonder; is Amazon planning to license Alexa tech for embedding in other hardware?

Rampant, baseless speculation:

TruePlay required to set up! Hype about Apple Music! OMG! Apple's buying Sonos!

Now I know I've stylized it a little bit (not much, though). However, artistic license aside, it's not still not hard to see the difference.
Very little diffrtence. I believe he said Apple product required for Trueplay which is correct.

So you don't think Apple is going to buy Sonos?
My speculation:

Sonos will use an existing voice enablement service; it would take years to develop their own. Likely Houndify, which is as capable as Alexa.
https://www.houndify.com/

They will sell a standalone microphone array device, small and possibly portable, so it could also be used for room tuning. Later, they will integrate microphone array into new/refreshed speaker line.

They will begin to work with one of the home automation providers, probably one that already integrates with the voice service they choose.
Very little diffrtence. I believe he said Apple product required for Trueplay which is correct.

So you don't think Apple is going to buy Sonos?

No, he said "TruePlay required for set up." Which either means TruePlay is required to set up Sonos, or he's talking in some sort of shotgun stream of consciousness. Which is why I corrected him and advised him to slow down and take a breath. And no, I don't think there is one scintilla of evidence that Apple is buying Sonos. Not one. I find pops44's speculation to be tin foil hat territory.
Post #23 he says apple required for trueplay.