Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Chrome Cast doesn't require licensing, but Google doesn't support on iOS and WP8, and on desktops only as Chrome browser plugin which litters your system with java instances
  • Spotify Control is proprietary and so complex that it can't be understood without documentation
  • AirPlay requires licensing and HW encryption key which needs to be licensed from Apple
Take your pick where Sonos should bind its resources.

Pretty sure you can cast on IOS 8.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
  • Chrome Cast doesn't require licensing, but Google doesn't support on iOS and WP8, and on desktops only as Chrome browser plugin which litters your system with java instances
  • Spotify Control is proprietary and so complex that it can't be understood without documentation
  • AirPlay requires licensing and HW encryption key which needs to be licensed from Apple

Casting in iOS is AirPlay. Casting from. Then the receiving device has requirements.
Userlevel 2
Badge

You can still cast from apps iOS 8 though, google music, movies, iplayer, netflix etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes and there are multiple ways then to get that I to sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Just a bit of an update to everyone. Seems like the rollout of Audio for Cast for audio is imminent.; How do I know this? Update to HBO Croatia app was released yesterday, with Chromecast support. Clicking on chromecast icon also lists my Sonos system. I think it is just a matter of Google adding other apps to their whitelist so they become available to us. Great to know and confirm that Sonos hasthis built in already.
Thanks for the feedback, jabba. Keep us posted if you learn any more...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I found another Android app that is able to see my Sonos system as Chromecast. "Plex".... Unfortunately, I was not able to successfully connect to the system so we are not quite there yet. I am guessing next firmware upgrade will be the one that will officially get Sonos on the list of supported "Cast for audio" devices. A bunch of other apps listed on Google's official page are not seeing Sonos, so hope this is coming soon.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I found another Android app that is able to see my Sonos system as Chromecast. "Plex".... Unfortunately, I was not able to successfully connect to the system so we are not quite there yet. I am guessing next firmware upgrade will be the one that will officially get Sonos on the list of supported "Cast for audio" devices. A bunch of other apps listed on Google's official page are not seeing Sonos, so hope this is coming soon.
The Sonos speakers are discoverable through DLNA, so any application that queries for DLNA players on the network will receive a reply from them. So from the sound of it, you're just observing something that has been there for several years.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
To your point Enhanced, the Sonos components can be controlled via DLNA.

The challenge for a developer is more around identifying the right messages that need to be exchanged to query and control grouped and bonded players.

This is where almost all DLNA based approaches fall short. If you have a grouped setup the audio stream needs to be sent to grouphead and not a group member in order to play the stream on all speakers within the group/zone.

AirSonos and other solutions have the same challenge; Its ok for a 'quick and dirty' playback but the zone/queue messaging is difficult to decipher. Sonos has a partner API but i don't know if anybody can signup who doesn't represent an actual streaming service (like Google Music, Tidal etc)

Looks like the rivals are soon to hit the stores:
http://itechtriad.com/2015/04/14/lg-google-cast-music-flow-soon/

While I'm not prepared to part with the Sonos devices yet, I for one won't wait forever. I don't want Sonos's unique selling point to be that they only work with the Sonos app and a rather dodgy connection to Google Music (mine doesn't work reliably and Sonos tech support haven't been able to fix it). 
Sonos, would you be able to just give an update on this idea, even though we realize obviously you have nothing to announce at this time? Is this idea currently being investigated or is it just marked for the future?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yes sonos you said in a thread last week you were going to keep us more updated?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The impression I get (no inside knowledge) reading between the lines of what they are able to say is that they are working on google cast. It makes sense since they worked with Google to cast from google play. Also Google cast makes a lot more sense then AirPlay since it appears to be much more universal then just working on Apple devices.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The impression I get (no inside knowledge) reading between the lines of what they are able to say is that they are working on google cast. It makes sense since they worked with Google to cast from google play. Also Google cast makes a lot more sense then AirPlay since it appears to be much more universal then just working on Apple devices.
Why is it taking them soooooo long?
Because the public demand for something to be delivered "yesterday at the latest" is often in conflict with the realities of a software development cycle. 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Other company's manage it and have implemented it already
I can see this is not going to be a rational discussion of the rigors of developing software for a multi-room synched system over WiFi vs. accessing a Bluetooth library function, so I will just bow out.  Feel free to rant away at Sonos, I'll not interrupt again.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Why with so many sonos fans has it got to be one or the other? The sonos mesh network is better so keep it . Have both with the understanding that casting isn't as reliable and people can switch between both at their leisure and choosing
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Other companies were designed from ground up to be that way. And not designed for a lot of the things sonos does better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And who are all these multi room streaming companies doing it? HEOS jumped on saying they were doing Google cast in January. I haven't seen they have implemented this simple thing. Well maybe they have I don't know how I would find out...I've never seen any support mechanism they have or forum with with anyone discussing (wonder why)
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't care if it's not multi room I can use the sonos app for multi room I just want to be able to cast YouTube! One room will do for the moment
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Upstarts like the HEOS - they can just announce or say they are going to do things... then not have to hear people ask them how long because they don't have a public forum.  I see lots of companies promising things and not delivering.  Sonos takes the don't announce until it is ready approach (and maybe they go a little too far with that I'm sure we will all say).  Of course we don't have to run a company that every time they announce something you have competitors trying to copy them.  I mean look at HEOS.  They are attempting to copy absolutely everything Sonos - its not even funny!  And I admit they have the advantage of being able to put bells and whistles with the Sonos replica latest hardware (their software just hasn't in any way caught up to or even in ballpark of Sonos - at least for my needs).  And they still had to fire sale dump a bunch of units in order to get some traction recently.  Still see no user discussion, questions, internet chatter about them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can't believe YouTube casting is far off - since we already have Google Play casting (of course on android only).  Apple - Air Sonos works well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well, the first new devices supporting Google Cast are now shipping... LG's got a round of speakers and soundbars that have Cast support, ranging from soundbars and individual room speakers, to a portable speaker that will become available in May.

Your move, Sonos...

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/14/lg-music-flow-speakers-google-cast/?ncid=rss_truncated
here's the fall back (Airplay) method: chromecast -> HDMI audio extractor -> SONOS line-in
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am not really sure that i share the excitement for Google Audio Cast like Sonos does.

Similar like Chromecast, Google implements it on application base which leaves adoption up to app developers. This is not much different then Spotify's proprietary Connect protocol, but one could argue that Google has a higher trust level amongst consumers compared to Spotify.

To make this a standard it would have to be implemented on OS level, which Google intentionally avoids as other OS platforms like iOS, OSX and Windows would potentially benefit.

If Google would been interested on a standard implementation they continued the development based on Miracast / WiDi standards which already supports Audio over HDMI with a multi codec stack.

It all comes down to gaining market shares and forcing users to fully adopt to the Android / Chrome environment.