Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

I am in the same boat.
I wish to see how this develops as I still want to stream out my YouTube audio to my Play5 as well as trying to find a way to stream out my TV audio which is an LG smart TV but so far can only use headset output to the line in on the play 5 some say use a bluetooth device using a usb dongle any suggestions on that would welcomed as I cannot see how that will work.
I'd just be happy to be able to stream any Android app's audio to my Sonos system. E.g. I have a Play 1, but I can't send Netflix's audio to it.

At the moment the best solution seems to be to buy a bluetooth audio dongle and plug it into a Play 5, but that's dependent on both owning a Play 5, having the line-in free, and the Play 5 being within bluetooth range.

You could also root your Android device, and then use AllStream to send audio to an Airport Express (or use AirSonos https://github.com/stephen/airsonos). But I don't really want to root my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For your TV I don't know any way you could wirelessly get sound out of your LG TV.  Line In on Play:5 with cable about it (if you had Playbar you could use Toslink cable to Playbar).

As far as YouTube app on your phone etc.  Yes you could put a Bluetooth dongle on the play:5 such as http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Transmitter/dp/B0085HOM4K#productDetails   Actually if you had 2 of these 1 could hook to TV and the other to the Play:5 if you really wanted to be able to send from TV via Bluetooth.

If you have apple iphone/ipad you want to stream youtube from you have the option of adding an Airport Express to the Play:5 in the same manner to add airplay ability http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&u...     There is also a hack called to give airplay ability to Sonos speakers via a server program on your home computer https://github.com/stephen/airsonos/releases
Userlevel 1
@All A new "idea" posting was made to request Google Cast Audio support for all the Sonos products in the following link.  Head over and "Like" the request to show we want it!

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/cast-audio-google-chromecast-for-audio
Looks like the multi-room implementation is already more advanced on Google Cast - Hands-on: LG Music Flow with Google Cast: http://youtu.be/YbDQ_Uio2HY - it can use Bluetooth LE to turn speakers on automatically as you enter a room
Looks like the multi-room implementation is already more advanced on Google Cast - Hands-on: LG Music Flow with Google Cast: http://youtu.be/YbDQ_Uio2HY - it can use Bluetooth LE to turn speakers on automatically as you enter a room
that video shows him casting a song to a single speaker - doesn't really talk at all about grouping players for synced listening or casting different songs to different players.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The grouping had to be done within the hardware manufacturers app.  If you want multiple streams to multiple speakers then you need multiple phones/tablets to do so (both similar to how it works currently with Googe Play app & Sonos)
They mention moving between rooms at this point - http://youtu.be/YbDQ_Uio2HY?t=1m43s - which infers synced listening 
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks so much for the feedback. Although we have nothing to announce at this time, we are also excited to hear about Google Cast for Audio. If we do have news about integration with this new product in the future, we will make an announcement here. Until that time, we are going to switch this topic from “question” to “idea”.

If you can’t wait to experience Google Cast, we have great news. Google Play Music can already cast directly to Sonos from your Android device. For more information, check out our  Google Play Music Direct Play FAQ

Thanks for your interest. Please let us know if there are any questions, we’d be happy to assist. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Very positive response Leslie. Thank you!
Userlevel 2
Software functionality is only half of the deal.. Sonos would need to be compatible with the other googlecast speakers in order to be fully compatible. That way you could have a Sonos and a Samsung speaker(for example) playing synced just like two Sonos speakers would do.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Software functionality is only half of the deal.. Sonos would need to be compatible with the other googlecast speakers in order to be fully compatible. That way you could have a Sonos and a Samsung speaker(for example) playing synced just like two Sonos speakers would do.

Doesn't seem like syncing is part of the Google Cast functionality. So while the Sonos software would, if it supports Google Cast, be able to send to, say, a Samsung speaker supporting Google Cast, it wouldn't be able to play in sync with a Sonos speaker, since the sync protocol is internal to Sonos.
Userlevel 2

I stand corrected.. There will be multiroom but no unified protocol for googlecast 😞 "Google Cast integrates with multiroom audio technologies developed by each vendor, so users will be able to cast their music streams to multiple speakers in the same house, and even maintain different zones, just like they can with a Sonos setup. Chandra told me that SonyLG and Denon will all show off multiroom audio capable speakers with Google Cast support at CES this week." -Gigaom
Userlevel 1
Badge

This makes sense as google cast is such a "dumb" protocol (that makes it so powerful at the same time). 
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't want sonos speaker to work alongside lg speaker etc. I basically just want the cast function available for YouTube and Google play music app for iOS. Most of the time I will still use sonos app but YouTube casting is a must for me
It'll be great if Sonos implement this. If not, I might consider replacing my Sonos Amp with the Denon Heos Amp..
Userlevel 1
This is killing me. I can currently get the sound bar for $300 off, but I need a definitive answer on Google Cast compatibility first. I'd rather pay full price later if it supports it, than waste money now if it won't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would not purchase based on Google cast becoming available. They have in the past year worked with Google in that Google incorporated casting to sonos with Google play for android though.
At the risk of being a "me too", I would love support for GoogleCast from Sonos. The Google Play music support today is good, but the more generic GoogleCast would be great, specifically for podcasting using Pocketcast. I already use it to listen when I'm outside the house, so being able to cast the same thing to my Sonos would be a great help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Taking the risk of sounding like a broken record, Sonos needs to support two main technologies: ChromeCast and AirPlay and should focus on that instead of bringing dozens of streaming services into the controller app resulting in a half-baked experience for services like Deezer, Spotify, etc. and binds bandwidth that could be used better.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just a bit of an update to everyone. Seems like the rollout of Audio for Cast for audio is imminent.; How do I know this? Update to HBO Croatia app was released yesterday, with Chromecast support. Clicking on chromecast icon also lists my Sonos system. I think it is just a matter of Google adding other apps to their whitelist so they become available to us. Great to know and confirm that Sonos hasthis built in already.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just a bit of an update to everyone. Seems like the rollout of Audio for Cast for audio is imminent.; How do I know this? Update to HBO Croatia app was released yesterday, with Chromecast support. Clicking on chromecast icon also lists my Sonos system. I think it is just a matter of Google adding other apps to their whitelist so they become available to us. Great to know and confirm that Sonos hasthis built in already.
So... what happens then, if you select the Sonos system to cast to?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
  • Chrome Cast doesn't require licensing, but Google doesn't support on iOS and WP8, and on desktops only as Chrome browser plugin which litters your system with java instances
  • Spotify Control is proprietary and so complex that it can't be understood without documentation
  • AirPlay requires licensing and HW encryption key which needs to be licensed from Apple
Take your pick where Sonos should bind its resources.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I couldn't test properly. I live outside of Croatia at the moment, and some fancy DNS trickery is necessary to play that content. My Chromecast is "rooted" so it can be done, Sonos does not allow any DNS changes, at least, not that I know of. I might put the whole network behind the VPN to try it, but that is a large project in itself. Seeing the option available was good enough proof that Audio casting is working on Sonos, and that many apps will follow soon. Google probably do the separate audio whitelisting similar to Chromecast apps, or HBO GO Croatia are using the latest API to get both protocols at the same time.