Skip to main content

I just got this thing installed and, I have to say, I am really disappointed in how this thing functions. Forcing all control through the phone app sounds fine, but why can’t I just use the volume buttons when the phone is locked? I have to open the phone and then open the app to control volume? What a terrible experience, this is a major pain point. I was also expecting way more volume out of this thing, I have a little handheld that sounds just about as good.

My TV remote “controls” the volume when watching TV, but is insanely slow. Why do I need to pull out my phone to reasonably control the TV volume?

Did anyone do any usability testing on this?

I just got this thing installed and, I have to say, I am really disappointed in how this thing functions. Forcing all control through the phone app sounds fine, but why can’t I just use the volume buttons when the phone is locked? I have to open the phone and then open the app to control volume? What a terrible experience, this is a major pain point. I was also expecting way more volume out of this thing, I have a little handheld that sounds just about as good.

My TV remote “controls” the volume when watching TV, but is insanely slow. Why do I need to pull out my phone to reasonably control the TV volume?

Did anyone do any usability testing on this?

Welcome to the forum.  As an aside, there’s better ways of asking for help!:thinking:

You don’t mention which version of the Sonos App you are using, which would have been helpful!

For Android please see this post:

For iOS, please see this post.

With the Beam, you could always ask Google or Alexa to increase the volume or ask for louder! e.g. ‘Alexa, louder {or softer}’

Please let us know if you need any further help...

Thank you for your response, but I am highly frustrated. I wish I had fully understood this “everything must run through the Sonos app” concept prior to the purchase. It seems really cumbersome and the advantages of it elude me.

Details:

Sonos Beam

Sonos OS: S2

Build: 60381250

Version: 12.1.2

The IOS instructions point to a function that should allow for lock screen control. It does not function as intended, I am still unable to control volume from the lock screen. I have toggled it both ways and still no functionality. What more could I do here?

Any ideas on why the TV remote volume control is painfully slow, almost to the point of not being sure if pressing the volume button is actually doing anything?

it looks like I need to DISABLE all other Airplay devices? What if I want to stream a video from my phone to the TV using airplay, but hear it through the soundbar?

I can’t get the lock screen controls to function at all, does an AppleTV (with airplay) cause me not to be able to use lock screen controls?

I am truly baffled by this.

As @UKMedia said,, there are ways and there are ways of asking for help.

I suspect that you have been reading some old out of date threads regarding disabling Airplay devices.

OK, I will no longer post here. Thanks for the help!

As a satisfied Sonos owner, I’d say that the response of my system to my tv remote control is quite acceptable, for both tv and music streaming inputs.  I’m surprised that other owners haven’t complained at slow response: maybe it’s your remote that is the problem.
In any case, Sonos do offer a money-back deal, so presumably you can return your speaker for a refund. 

So satisfied that you hang out on tech support forums?

Yup, trying to offer help and advice to those who want it. I did have some initial setup issues 3 or 4 years ago and got good advice from these forums; I now try to help others that might be prepared to accept  it. 

FYI. You can no longer use Lock Screen controls with the iOS Sonos app. Confirmed by tech support. They blame Apple. 

Similarly, Apple blocks Sonos and other companies like BlueSound, from using the iOS devices to play music from the device, they require use off AirPlay 2, rather than allowing the Sonos software to access the data, as they had before iOS 11. Apple doesn’t want a fair playing field, it seems. 

Similarly, Apple blocks Sonos and other companies like BlueSound, from using the iOS devices to play music from the device, they require use off AirPlay 2, rather than allowing the Sonos software to access the data, as they had before iOS 11. Apple doesn’t want a fair playing field, it seems. 

Luckily it works if you use the individual apps. I am not seeing the value of the Sonos app. 

Hi @Jschlot 

You’ve received good advice even though your tone is a bit off color. Here’s a novel idea...tell us how you have the Beam connected and to what type of TV. Doing so won’t change the fact that you cannot control Sonos with your iPhone when locked...but it might enable use to offer suggestions about your overall setup/connections.

Cheers!

Hi @Jschlot 

You’ve received good advice even though your tone is a bit off color. Here’s a novel idea...tell us how you have the Beam connected and to what type of TV. Doing so won’t change the fact that you cannot control Sonos with your iPhone when locked...but it might enable use to offer suggestions about your overall setup/connections.

Cheers!

After some time with the product, my issues are not technical issues, but design ones. My tone is off color because I am pretty disappointed with what I feel is an expensive product for underwhelming sound and lack of functionality. I paid for professional installation so that I would not have to deal with the connection process. It is all wall mounted and painful to change these connections myself. Looking at these forums, Sonos fans are willing to deal with excessive amounts of troubleshooting; perhaps that is part of the allure of the product, maybe they enjoy that kind of thing. Thanks for the reply, but no more assistance is required.